Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating

Page 4 of 4

That can provide some information. Of course, an older unit will draw more. A dirty unit will draw more. An under charged unit will draw less.
Dirty and undercharged can cancell each other out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Your brain and mouth cancels each other out.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:03:58 -0400, The King

    You give him too much credit in the first half of that. Unless of course his mouth is empty, in which case I understand the comparison.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:16:42 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Assuming he has a brain, it dosen't work very well.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:42:21 -0400, The King

opps. corrected.
On Apr 7, 10:54am, snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

As far as I know, there is no consumption of refrigerant in any residential system.
If you're low, you have a leak. You fix the leak and refill. There is no periodic topping off of refrigerant that got used up, can't happen.

Yes, but extremely small leaks of a few ounces a year can be almost impossible to find and fix. There are a lot of systems with that problem. The only practical solution is to add a little refridgerant every couple years.
jamesgangnc wrote:

I've had very good luck with a stop leak from the company Cliplight Manufacturing. I use it for systems that have tiny leaks that would require a major disassembly to find. I always pull a deep vacuum on anything that has been rebuilt and use nitrogen to blow through it a few times. When me and my friends install a new system on a job somewhere, the condenser may not be installed until the building or home is ready to be occupied because too many condensing units have been stolen. We will blow the lines and evaporator out with nitrogen, install service valves on the line set, pressurize it with nitrogen and leave it that way until it's time to set the condenser. The good thing about leaving lines and evaporator charged with N2 is that we know if there is a leak or if a carpenter put a nail through a line.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lby8fz
TDD

I tried that on one system. The compressor was a far bit noisier after adding that sealer. It ran that way for another year or so but it didn't sound good while doing it.
jamesgangnc wrote:

Day before yesterday I had a noisy compressor in a make line at a pizza place. I injected 3oz of Supco88 into the system and it is a lot quieter now. It will free up just about any sticking valve or bearing.
http://www.supco.com/Chemicals%20pg7.htm
TDD
Now, that looks totally useful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, that's what many techs do. Shoot a quick squirt in, satisfy the customer, guarantee a return visit next year.
Professionals on the other hand know how to fix the leak, and do the job right.

I have used some window units for 40 years and still work. When I see thin aluminum cores, you go to wonder. The more efficient the more chance of failure. Now my Cavalier was working great up untill last month when all hell broke loose. The garage man says he tops his off a couple times a year. Last year I was trying to top off my 77 280Z with R134, and it worked for a while, longer than the last time I tried, 15 years ago. I gave away my last can when I sold the car. Compressor leaks are common on the vehicles.
My House air sort of seems a little slow, but its only taking 1500 watts and its supposed to be a 2.5 ton.
I had window air units taking 23 amps at 220.
greg
There is no such thing as perfect. All refrigeration systems leak to some extent. When I got my EPA card, the law said we can top off any system with less than 50 pounds of refrigerant.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why do you lie?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:27:09 -0500, "Oscar_Lives"

The King wrote:

Naw... They would look silly running around in Holy underwear.
You'd never know -- they wear the holy underwear under their fur.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus