opinions

Been working on a chiller fixing leaks with 5 six cly Carlyle's on it. O6EF's 299 310 compressors pretty good size. Pulled the top head off number two compressor to replace a leaking gasket and my spider senses started tingling so I pulled the head off of the left bank. The valves were broken and the tops of the pistons were pretty mealed up. Tomorrow Im going to pull the other head and insp the valve plate on that side, roll it over and insp the cylinders and check to make sure no rods are broken and do the same for number one. They are in tandem and for the first stage. The other three compressors are for second stage. Last summer I guess they were always pumping ref to the old gal because of all the leaks and im thinking who ever did it slugged them with liquid and as you know these compressors dont tolerate much abuse and thats what took out the valves.

My question is if the cylinder walls look ok and no rods are broken and it rolls over ok would I be ok just replacing the valve plate? I think it would be ok. What do you think.

Reply to
The King

chewing valve bits will tend to do that ....

Thought about adding check valves ?

If it ain't broke .....

Reply to
.p.jm.

There are LLSV's on each circuit. Got to make sure the CCH's are working once I get it to that point. There are checks in the discharge lines up stream of the mufflers.

That's what I was thinking.

Reply to
The King

I'd watch the back at startup, see if there's a need for CPR's.

Just saying ....... unliikely, I know, but I don't know what app it's in.

Reply to
.p.jm.

DX comfort cooling. Split system, air cooled condenser. Typical shit nothing special. Yeah, Ill be watching SH and back very carefully on start up, Once I pump in almost 500 lbs of 22 that is...

Reply to
The King

Hell, Stormy did that on a 4 ton Trane split once :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

So he's the one who killed Snowball!

Reply to
The King

May it rust in piece(s) :-(

Reply to
.p.jm.

UPDATE, I pulled the heads on no. 1 compressor and the valves were fine. No broken rods on no. 2. Slight scoring of the walls but nothing major. The customer said run it. Got the system leak free, well tight as they say put the pump on second stage compressors

3,4,&5, and it pulled down to 400 microns in 8 hours, Got the pump on 1st stage comps 1 & 2 going to let run overnight and hopefully start charging the old bitch in the morning. I recovered 250lbs of refrigerant and the system requires approx. 485lbs, Im going to try and talk the customer out of re using the recovered refrigerant because I dont trust it. It leaked like hell all last year so im told and I dont know for sure what condition its condition is in. Im sure cost is going to be a factor. I have a week and a half in on this job so far and my knees are talkin to me. :(
Reply to
The King

Make sure that crankcase heater is working and if don't have one do you self fever and install one.

Grumpy

If is suspected floading you do not want add CPR that would only add more problems, but what it can be done add pressure switch that hold back opening of liquid solenoid so that system have litlle time to pump down on start up.

Grumpy

Bullshit.

Reply to
.p.jm.