A question about gas/liquid valves

"Deck Ape" is a paid position. No, I have a Balboa 26, and the deck personnel wear bikini's and work for free - when I get them, and my wife will allow.
Takes a day to get out, a day to fish, a day to get back - blue water.
The ice and beer run out; the ice I need for the fish, I can carry beer for a month or two, if I don't mind warm beer.
The good life, in my opinion, but on a pauper's budget.

Oh, I donno. There were plenty cheaper. But after a little research, it seems like they all use the same Sanyo compressor, same control boards, and package them differently with different remotes and displays.
AND YES, I'm retired - I don't have money to waste, so cheap is the choice most days. (not that I didn't agonize and research this $1,000 choice for a few months)

You think I didn't research this? Geez!

Did I mention that I do have a warranty?
You Christians(?) are so fast to judge others. Walk in my shoes, Then critique my movement.
One thing I have learned in my life... EVERYONE can teach me something. From the meanest lowest drunk in the gutter, to the loftiest prof in university. No two people on earth learn from the same perspective. Learning is active - and teaching is passive.
I have to learn, no one Has to teach me.
I have no problem paying a professional, just a problem finding one I trust. You think I tell my doctor how his cataract surgery (on MY OWN eye) should be performed? No. I don't expect to be questioned by laymen outside my own field of expertise and wouldn't think of questioning a professional like a doctor with surgery certificates from real colleges on the walls.
I worked with PhD chemists who thought that PhD title meant they knew everything, so I do know what you might be feeling (based on my cold post to Usenet)
But hey! Drop the ire. Suffer the fools (up to a point at least).
I ain't your enemy, I don't even know you.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:13:23 -0400, default wrote:

    Not required. Steve hates anyone who ever installed their own AC unit :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
<default> wrote in message >>> wrote:

Actually, the good ones are variable frequency, inverter drive... even the compressor is variable speed. They are not all the same as you suggest..... well maybe most of the cheap 13SEER ones are.... but the good ones are definately not.

This one is 17 SEER and is DC inverter Variable frequency. Why they choose to phrase it that way, I can't say.
These things are already quite common in industry. I've specified and installed several VFD's. Best price I found was $60 for a 5-7.5 hp three phase.
Almost everything is on one chip with some big honker mosfets to switch power to the motor.
My compressor current behaves like I'd expect. Current jumps up when I select a cooler temp and from a dead stop creeps up a little over time (I guess the back pressure on the compressor is increasing as it runs from being turned off for a time?)
My condenser fan seems to have three distinct speeds (I could be wrong about that) The indoor blower is limited to three speeds - and more noisy, and more active, than I'd like. It allows me to set the fan speed, but will over ride my setting if the set point is much lower than ambient.
It has a "humidity" setting too. That seems to just keep it at ~72 degrees, no matter what the set point is. "Auto" is virtually useless to me, that heats or cools to hold a set point with 2 degrees of hysteresis (or dead zone).
It has something called "follow me" that is supposed to keep the temperature setting on the remote - where ever the remote happens to be - must be a good trick since this is a IR remote.
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:14:15 -0400, default wrote:

    As the system comes into full operating balance over the first maybe 30 seconds, and establishes a 'full liquid head' to the meter, the amount of heat being picked up will increase, the volume of working fluid will increase, the volume of the return gas will increase, thus compression ratio will increase, IOW head pressure will increase, and work is increased. Thus, a small change in amps.

    The dehumidify setting will run the fan at low, thus modulating the SHR towards latent ( yeh, I LOVE sending you EE's to WIKI to try to figure out WTF I'm talking about :-) ).

    It's actually GPS device monitored by the DHS.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

    Look, Congressman, that will be quite enough of that .....
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:08:49 -0400, default wrote:

    Next time, don't cruise the parrking lot at Home Depot.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:36:15 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Yellow pages. two out of 12 residential HVAC contractors and I picked the closest two - the others were 60 miles (round trip)
On 6/17/2011 11:36 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

He could have used his tire gauges. ;-p Only takes 3 in parallel for 410A

On 6/17/2011 11:08 AM, default wrote:

Use Paul... He could use the exercise.
I'd like to use a pro I could trust, but

    Homey don't play no field work no mo. Ain't on money in it.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Jun 17, 9:54am, default wrote:

1800 btus ?? Are you sure you dont mean 18,000 ??? The far better and recommended way is not to just purge the lines/evaporator, but to pull a deep vaccuum with a proper Vaccuum Pump to be sure you rid the lines/evap. of all air and moisture. Then to open the service valves up and let the freon charge thats in the Unit dissipate to the rest of the system. ... and then, to finetune the freon charge with the system running . Youve got to know what you are doing otherwise youll allow air/moisture to enter the system . Its best to pay a qualified HVAC tech to handle this final but highly important procedure .
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:49:40 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I agree whole heartedly, but what I've seen of contractors here does not inspire confidence.
I figure the compressor's life will be shortened due to not using a vacuum - but on the other hand, these things are in service around the world (not in the US maybe, but you see them in all kinds of movies made in Asia and Europe) and installed with only a purge by people "whose knuckles drag the ground when they walk." (slight exaggeration but if a fly-by- night contractor in Yemen can pull it off with just a screwdriver and channel locks, how hard can it be?)
AND there was one US contractor that did a side by side comparison to purge versus vacuum versus nothing (air moisture in the lines) and he said there was a 9% efficiency loss in purge versus vacuum and 30% with no purge or vacuum. The compressor might suffer in the long run.
AND a new compressor is $350 versus the $200 - $300 quotes I got.
I would have done it for the peace of mind,with a pro,in a heartbeat. But not having a pro around (that I would trust)...
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:49:40 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

    Ummm.... even with pre-charged line sets and coils ? :-)

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:34:37 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Not to disparage professional AC contractors.
My line sets were plugged with plastic caps and no real trustworthy seals like O rings. And I did have the evaporator end open for 5 minutes or so to the air. The condenser end open for 15 minutes while I cut the flares and satisfied myself that they were as good as it gets.
In theory they have enough juice to purge 30 feet of line and I had 10 feet. They say open the valve for 3 seconds and I used 5.

The linesets and evap coils are not pre-charged, and do require a vacuum be pulled.
On 6/17/2011 11:34 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Please do not interfere with Genius at work! ;-p

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:07:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

There's only one Schroeder valve and it is on the LP side (the large tubing) it has it's own cap and other than to purge it, (as the service manual said) for 3-4 seconds, I haven't touched it - the cover is back on and tightened.
No valves or connections show any leakage with soap bubbles, The HP side (1/4" tube side) does exhibit a "psst" sound, when I loosen the cap so that has me concerned, and asking about valve seats...
Neither cap seems to have elastomer seal on the inside, but both seal/caps seem to have some "exposed skin" (bare, oxidation free, metal) where a seal might have been, metal to metal contact..