Window Unit Shot in the Dark

I've got a Frigidaire faa067p7a 6000 BTU, 10.7. Probably a zillion of them out there. If you can help me, fine, but I don't have high expectations.

Probably got zapped though nothing else died. It'll run for a half minute on fan setting and then shut off completely (no display, but volts at the ICs), after that it it'll erratically try to restart but won't, will die quickly. No parts are hot. I don't have the schematic, unless the one under the cover has circuit board details.

The circuit board over here:

is more than the unit.

There are only a handful of parts in it. A DIP display driver, a driver IC and a house numbered 30pin DIP that probably is the culprit.

I'd rather not buy another unit. Any ideas on what may be wrong or how to fix? That's my shot in the dark.

Just replace the board.

Reply to
Steve

Most HVAC techs will replace the circuit board because they're not necessarily trained in the repair of circuit boards. If the problem, lies in the circuit board, you have what is known in the business of "anything" repair as a NETR, Not Economical To Repair. It can be heartbreaking for someone like me who hates to waste anything. I will repair things like that for myself but can't do it for a customer due to the fact that even at my lowest labor rate, it would be $130.00 to work on the AC unit. You could donate it or sell it on Craigs List as a unit in need a circuit board. If it is a very common window unit, someone may be in need of one with a good sealed system and bad circuit board they can put their good circuit board into.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I don't object to that. I haven't found it yet at a price (less than the unit) or an availability.

Do you have a parts place that you like? I'm just fumbling around looking for it.

Ah, found it:

If the problem,

I'm the last resort for most of my financially distressed friends who fall in the category of not having the economics to fix anything. So far this year I'm up to 2 car ACs, 3 central units and one refrigerator. All gratis. The list for non hvac is longer...

Thanks. You know who I am.

Perhaps replace all the electronics with a plain old mechanical thermostat.

Reply to
Bennett Price

Just buy an el cheapo heat/cool digital t-stat from Home Depot, cut the traces that feed power to the ICs on the window shaker control board, and solder in a few wires to the high fan and herm relays' coil transistors collector and emitter. If the T-stat is set to auto instead of on for the fan the unit will now even dehumidify better due to the fan not running and re evaporating the condensate when the compressor is off. One note though make sure the T-stat makes an audible click from its relay when it calls for heating or cooling as some are silent and use triacs instead that won't turn off when switching DC.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

I'll look into this. This circuit board for this particular version is unavailable. What I tried (different suffix), was missing connections to I'm not sure what and the thermostat connectors (ambient and coil) were keyed differently. I suppose I'll have to dig up the print and go after it. I liked the Energy Star features...but that was then..

This seems to be the year for AC.

Thanks.

Jeff

I'm happy that you don't have anything better to do with your time and money. Spend the $35 and replace the board... its not worth the time or the trouble to repair the board. Even *if* you troubleshoot the board, then you still have to find the part(s) to repair it, then there is the time spent actually trouble shooting, looking for the parts, waiting for the parts to be delivered, the time you will be without A/C, etc.... so... tell me where the benifit is of fixing a $35 board??

BTW... there is probably a new number for the board because it has been upgraded, or a fault corrected. You will be able to get it through the manufacturer, or a wholesale supplier that carries those particular units.

Reply to
Steve

I can't get it. If you can find me a board for FAA067P7A ENG1, I'll PayPal you $5, although I think it deserves more. It's appararently an early model, and I've already spent much time.

Even *if* you troubleshoot the board, then you

Actually I think I'm screwed on it. Fox spent a lot of time and I've looked elsewhere.

So, I've gone and done Plan B, which is take out the 6K, redo the window et all, and put in the 10K.

I'm not thrilled about, but like you said, I've got other things to do with my life. The other thing, at the moment, is to fix a friend's Volvo 740 that won't start. Not like it's an improvement...

I'll take another run at this another day.

You will be able to get it through the

Only 60hrs?? I would be happy just to get a day off..... otoh, when the phone rings, its somebody telling me where to pick up the money at. :-)

Reply to
Steve

Since it is just a tiny inexpensive a/c, I wouldnt put any time or money into it. Instead, go to walmart and pick up a 5,000 btu a/c they currently have on sale for a measily $98 which will come with a one year warranty on all parts and 5 years on the compressor. It is a very compact unit and will cool 150 sq. ft well.

Reply to
ilbebauck

He can't...He is a cheap chiseler. Besides that cheap Unit isn't Union made and Mikey might have an attack of PMS.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

No, it was a good unit. Energy Star 10.7. 6K. Variable speed. Remote. Sleep. Nice Controls... If it was junk I'd have no qualms.

I wouldnt put any time or

I've replaced it with a 10K. It took a bit of work as the unit was custom fit over the counter and I had to remove half the window and redo the mount. Has an adjustable vent to either recycle room air, cool outdoor air, or just vent. Same type as before, 4K more. Not as quiet.

I've seen a lot of window ACs (I've hunted them for other reasons). Take a better look at the Walmart and what you will see is a 9.8 and not an Energy Star. The Energy Star models have a more sophisticated compressor/fan cycle rather than just either letting the fan run always, or just cycling it with the compressor. If the fan runs continually, even when not cooling, you are wasting power and generating unwanted noise. Note that some of the Energy Star models are also junk, but for different reasons.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't but junk. Been there, done that.

At the moment what I will probably do with the old unit is fix it the best I can and pass it on. It's not like there has been no demand for any kind of AC. I have no time now, so it will sit...

which will come with a one

You make a lot of assumptions that you apparently just pull out of your ass. (see previous post in this thread)

Maybe this makes you feel better. But it marks you in my mind and others too. Now, you may not care that you are thought of as a jerk and a poser. Or you may. But that is the way you have set yourself up.

Babble on j-abber-monkey. ;-p

It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster

Reply to
PaxPerPoten