My first bromeliad

With fear & trembling, I just bought a little bromeliad to place on the East side of the dining room. The strong light from the West windows is fairly reasonable. Plant will also get some indirect light from the kitchen around the corner.
Having bought blah indoor plants for years, I hope my daring venture will succeed <g>.
Any experience out there?
TIA
Persephone
On 4/10/10 7:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Someone gave us a flowering bromeliad about 5 years ago. It's possibly a Guzmania. After a long time, the flower died. The plant put out a side shoot, and then the main plant died.
I potted up the side shoot, which is doing quite nicely. It's in my dining room, at a north window (almost north with some early morning sun). I water it once a week (sometimes twice a week in the summer). When I feed my orchids, I dilute what runs out of their pots to feed the bromeliad. Both the watering and feeding are in the whorl of leaves plus a little in the potting mix. However, there is no sign of a new flower.
I have another bromeliad in my greenhouse window, in my breakfast room and also north-facing. This one is the top of a pineapple that I successfully rooted. It gets the same care as the Guzmania.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Thank you; very informative.
Pineapple is a bromeliad??!!! Does it want to make more pineapples? A little confused...
Persephone
On 4/11/10 7:44 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

According to Sunset, pineapples are the only edible bromeliads. With the right environment, it might flower and produce edible fruit (one per plant).