"My Little Margie"

If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV in the 50's.

I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.

There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one after another, and it will stay maximized too.

Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed. I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.

Highly recommended.

Reply to
micky

Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She didn't need to go to school or work. Just wait until a suitable man came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My somewhat hazy recollection is Margie hung out primarily in dive-bars where she favored beer-belly bikers and tattooed guys just out of the joint...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

.. nah - that was the Betty White show. John T.

Reply to
hubops

That's true. I may be confused with my mother, who worked every vacation from school she had since she was 13 years old, including summer, Christmas and Easter (until she got married at 22). Or the girls I grew up with, who worked after college. Margie didn't do charity work either, but maybe that was for married women.

Her father certainly didn't think so. No ambition, no future, and I think that meant he'd never make any money (You're bright and intelligent. You can do better.") although he does have an office in some episodes. Don't know what he does there. In last night's episode, Vern Albright is supposed to land a big foundation, which just got a new chairman, as a client, and it turns out that Freddie's father is the new chairman. That might mean that his father is rich and he will be too, but even if so, small contradictions like that are no worse than one of Fred MacMurray's children or someone's wife changing hir appearance from one season to another.

I also want to recommend "Private Secretary", which I think is sometimes called the "Ann Sothern" show, and on screen starts off being called "Suzi". Sometimes Marlo Thomas in "That Girl" (also an excellent show except for her nebbish boyfriend) is given credit as the precursor to the "Mary Tyler Moore Show", single girl living alone, working, etc. but "Private Secretery" precedes both of them and she was just as important at work at Ann Marie or Mary Richards. Quite a few episodes of this one on Youtube too. Try to get the entry with the all black image in the image column and it will play one after another. But I think it remembers where you were even if you close the tab, and even maybe if you close the browser or windows (Unless you've logged out of google.)

Reply to
micky

Today she got her annaual check from the trust fund her grandmother set up for her, $400. I guess that's about $4000 now. YOu can't live very high on the hog for that, per year. Thank goodness she has an allowance.

She wants to trade her car in in a few months and wants her father to triple her money in that time. He said he couldn't safely get more that

6%. (IIRC banks were paying 3% interest through most of the 50's, although I saw ads for a bank or two in California that was paying 5 1/2%. Because I didn't know how money worked, I thought it was a con, even though it was in a reputable periodical. I guess California was booming then. Of course stocks might pay more, but they weren't insured. Even in the 80's not all the banks in Maryland were not insured, but that's another story.)
Reply to
micky

S4E32 is colorized, and they seem to have moved to NYC, from LA.

Freddie is collecting unemployment now.

She has a fur stole, but a mostly white dress.

her father siad he'd give her @, but she has to drive her old car for another year if she loses money.

The guy has an old style office. The fan looks just like the fan wwe took from my father's office after he died in in '55. The chair looks just like the chair from my brother's father's office after he died in '41.

Reply to
micky