Bought my first drill - Question

Hi all,

I just bought my first cordless drill (Ridgid X2 12v). I know next to nothing about tools so please forgive me if this question is retarded. When pressing the trigger, I observed that the drill bit is not turning straight, meaning that it makes a small circle (like tracing a small "O" with your finger in the air) when it's rotating on itself. The drill bit is not loose, so that's not what's causing it. Is this normal behavior or I just bought a defective unit?

Based on what I searched on this newsgroup, my first choices were either Milwaukee (12v) or Makita (12v) but I was comfortable with the Ridgid, it looked solid and the guarantee is interesting. Hopefully, it is normal behavior, if not, well, I know what I'll have to do.

Thanks

Denis

Reply to
Deltones
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Regardless of the warranty Ridgid is Ryobi/Techtronic/Emerson/OWT, however you dress it up it is not Comparable to Makita's better 12v models or Milwaukees either. With Makita you get what you pay for as they have over the years had lighter duty & heavier duty models. Ridgid is exclusive to Home depot and in my opinion is as good as your local Home depot's service dept....you may visit it often.

As for off center rotation of your bit, it could be a slightly bent shaft or a poor quality chuck or even a bent bit (although I'm sure you checked that one).

If it's new take it back, it sounds defective to me....you will find out right away if you made the right choice.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Well, it's not normal behavior. Either you miss chucked the bit or the chuck is bad. You may want to option the guarantee.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

This has got to be A troll Oh the hell with it.

I Honestly dislike myself when I am rude and this is not intended to be even though it will sound that way. Do yourself a favor Return the drill and get your money back and stay with your day job and then hire someone to do what you needed to do with the drill.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Slow down, you're just nervous...

next to

retarded.

tracing a

itself.

this

were

with the

Hopefully,

do.

Reply to
solarman

What a jack a--! I thought the purpose of this newsgroup was to help each other.

I think you know that it sounds Rude and you had every Intention of sounding rude because your an a-- hole.

I bet Denis knows what he'd like to do with the drill now, shove it up your a--.

Reply to
stoutman

either the bit didn't get chucked up properly, or the chuck is defective. I bought my last DeWalt cordless drill a few years back when I got one with a lot of run-out in the chuck. I returned it and bought a Makita. Couldn't be happier. Sometimes new drills are defective!

dave

Delt> Hi all,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Try another bit first. Maybe your using a bent bit.

Reply to
BeerBoy

ASSuming this is a legitimate question and you're not trolling, here are some possibilities, in order of likely-hood...

  1. Mis-chucked bit: make sure the bit is centered in the chuck's jaws.
  2. Bent drill bit: roll the bit over a flat surface and/or try another bit. Get yourself a decent set of drill bits.
  3. Defective chuck: return to HD.

HTH,

Delt>

LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

Reply to
LegMan

Put another bit in it. ( I just said "duh" to myself) If it's the same take the drill back.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I just bought the 18 volt model. Love it, simply love it. No problems with it, but then I know how to chuck up a bit in a drill.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Thanks for the helpful replies from the majority of you guys. It is appreciated.

As for me being a troll or being too nervous, well, I did state that I'm not knowledgeable as far as tools are concerned. Being a first time home owner, that's the reason I want to learn more: Working around my house. That drill is my first motorised tool, but that doesn't make me a troll. I still can see if a drill seems to turn weird. Hence the question.

I'll bring it back at HD. I'm now convinced it's a defective unit.

Thanks again,

Denis

Reply to
Deltones

Working with wood is like making love to a woman. There is a right way and a wrong way... Slow is most times the best route... perhaps nervous wasn't quite the right term....

that

first

turn

unit.

Reply to
solarman

Denis,

Most of us are smart enough to know you aren't a troll. There's always a bad apple in every barrel...

dave

Delt> Thanks for the helpful replies from the majority of you guys. It is > appreciated. >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Doesn't the chuck need to be facing up in order to put the drill bit in properly? Up chuck!! lol

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

Let us know how you make out. That kind of thing would be rare indeed.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

The tool is VERY important. lol

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

One more thing, Denis...

Until you get the hang of things, do the final tightening by hand. Hold the drill bit in the chuck...and turn the chuck by hand...until all the sides of the chuck are touching the bit and the bit looks straight. Then use the trigger for the final tightening.

Make sure yer not running in reverse! lol

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Trent©

ha. Stop it your killing me!!!!! Dave, who's the bad apple??? I hope it ain't me, cause I don't like apples. BTW, I never got to tell you, nice looking desk. Drop me a mail so I can get your addy. I got a couple questions to ask you.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Jerry, ask away; just ping me, ok?

dave