Returned the Ridgid

A few days ago, I posted a question on a Ridgid X2 12v drill I bought that had a defective chuck (wasn't turning straight). I returned to HD with the intention of exchanging it for the same model as I was comfortable with it.

I asked the tool guy to open me a new box at the store before returning home with the exchanged drill, just in case. I'm glad I did. That other X2 had the exact same problem as the one I returned, and the HD tool guy was witness. I don't know if this was because of the "Made In China" QA control issue, but I decided to get a full refund instead.

I probably wasn't lucky with the batch they had, but it made a negative impression on me. If you decide to buy one of their drill, ask the HD employee to open the package beforehand so you might check it out.

Oh, as a side note, I asked how many returns they had on these drills, and they told me not much: 1 or 2 a week...

Reply to
Deltones

Wow. Thanks for the info, as I'm very much thinking of getting their

18v combo set. I'll definitely do some closer inspection.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

That's interesting to me considering that a large portion of what is being purchased in the tool cribs right now are Christmas presents. Let's see if there is a tidal wave of returns about 3 weeks after Christmas for these things.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I bought both my Makita drills out of a pawn shop i guess it was 4 years ago now. Both are on their second battery and one I even dropped off a roof. Still works great after all the abuse... I think I paid $20 each for them...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

That's probably what I will be looking for next time I go shopping. Maybe the milwaukee, but I was a bit more comfortable with the makita. Something I found interesting at HD is that the only cordless milwaukee they had was a 14.4v percussion drill. No regular 12v in sight. I wonder if this is a store decision to not stock them to push the new Ridgid line. For reference, the X2 12v I bought and returned was 249$ CDN.

Denis

Reply to
Deltones

If all you need is a cheap drill, Harbor Freight has one for about $10. My Makita's work really well for pawn shop tools. Milwalkee makes a good sawzall...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins