Moles

any good devices for mole prevention. I got cats.
Greg
In article

Look at the mole plant aka Caper Spurge.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ephla.htm
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

I read more about it. But what if the cat eats it. I did say DEVICES, like noise makers.
Greg

I think noise helped drive a ground hog off under garage
Greg
Gz wrote:

You don't need cats but hats and SPF30+ sun cream.

    Nematodes. They'll destroy the "grubs" that attract the moles.     I'm in U.S.A. and I buy mine here: http://gardeningzone.com/tech_bull_ben_nematodes.php?osCsid 722dac6ed2fe63d34659eedcb33d3e http://gardeningzone.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=nematodes&x=0&y=0
I have no interest in this establishment save that of a repeat customer.
IME, the "trouble" with cats (relative to moles, that is) is they dig the moles _after_ the moles leave the garden.
Based on my experience, suggest you: 1) Follow instructions to the letter; 2) Believe'em when they advise pesticides, particularly broad-spectrum chemicals, are toxic to the little fellas.
Unfortunately, nothing is free. The nematodes will also take out beneficial and benign beetle larvae, too. http://maria.fremlin.de/stagbeetles/larva-guide/index.html
--
Derald

Gz wrote:

One place I lived had an issue with moles. I located one of the tunnels and inserted my garden hose. I ran the water for about two hours. No more moles that year in my back yard.

The garden hose trick does not work to get rid of cats.
Bob F wrote:

The dirt was pretty hard in that place, agreed. Pain in the back to break it up to plant anything. No clue how the moles did it in So Cal hard packed dirt.

Not really, you have to kill em off or reduce their food source so they move on. Trapping is the most successful, used along with product to control soil grubs and larvae like the crane fly. Keep in mind that they are aerating soil and keeping the soil insect population in check. On the other hand they sure do tunnel...alot.
I have seen some good "mole" cats, but I'm not a fan because they stalk and kill birds when mole hunting is slow( which is most of the time) and our feral population is growing too fast. A neighbor brought some mole killing gummie worms. Haven't heard his results as yet. Maybe someone here has.

We had a neighbor get rid of them, or at least one, with bubble gum MJ
In article

Juicy Fruit gum.
Plant the mole plants about more permanent.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon
    OP must have me twitted; I already gave him the sure-fire solution to moles along with a link where he can buy the stuff. Oh, well, his loss.
--
Derald

Anothers viewpoints on the many mole methods:
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page39.html

Good, tnx.
Buddy uses oxy/ace for groundhogs. Works well.
Greg
Gz wrote:

Propane works too, and it's cheaper by far .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I'll await the headlines ;O)
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Billy wrote:

Actually , I prefer lead and smokeless powder for groundhogs - AKA rockchucks out west , and woodchucks around here in Tennessee . A guy that posts in another group I read tried the oxy/propane thing on moles, said it made a quite satisfying thump and interesting patterns in his lawn . He lit it off by remote , with a model rocket ignitor IIRC.
--
Snag
Learning keeps