Any success with ridding a walkway of pesky moles (what's the secret?)

I have moles that contantly pop up the bricks under a walkway (bricks in sand). I don't want to kill the moles. I just want them to go somewhere else.

On Monday, I poured a gallon of ammonia down one five feet away, I poured a gallon of bleach into another hole.

So far the moles haven't returned but while I'm waiting, I was wondering if anyone had other advice for getting rid of pesky moles.

Reply to
Kathleen Rabun

Two thoughts come to mind.

1) Google search 2) Moles, like squirrels, are a dynamic population. Whatever you do, will be necessary to do for the rest of your life.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have a neighbor with an inside-only cat? Ask them for some urine-soaked litter and pour some into each hole and then pour in some sand to plug it up. I sent a colony of mice in search of a new home this way.

Reply to
Bryce

A frisky cat might do the job. Raw bacon and mouse traps will temporarily reduce the population. Tape off one square foot of lawn and dig out 2-4 inches--if you can find more than ONE grub in a square foot, use a good grub control product on your lawn and the moles will go elsewhere.

Reply to
Phisherman

Kathleen Rabun wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

Get rid of food source. Typically they love grubs. I've heard they will also go after flower bulbs. Milky Spore (natural and harmless to plants, birds, aquatics) will rid grubs for 10+years but takes time to establish. Google it for info.

You have woods nearby? Bulb beds near walk?

Reply to
Red Green

Don't those chemicals combine to make something like phosgene, the deadly gas from WW1?

I can't remember the name of it, but some years ago at the hardware store, I found a thing that looks like a big firecracker (1/2" x 5"). I think 4 in a package for under $10. It's a smoke bomb. I went right to the checkout counter with it after reading the package down to where it said "light the fuse..." ;-) Figured it had to be fun. And it actually worked.

Reply to
jbry3

Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) combined with ammonia produces chlorine gas. Bad stuff!

Reply to
Bryce

This individual has found some amusing attempts!

Clot

Yes, chlorine gas is bad stuff, but I wouldn't worry about it outside. Not that I'd linger in the area, but the chlorine gas would quickly react with stuff in the air.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Don't want to kill the moles? Oh brother. Come back when you get serious.

Reply to
mike