Moles, help...

I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard. It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked. The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with snow) and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as the snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass? Should I be trying something else? We are talking about dozens of holes/tunnels all over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated. Chris...

Reply to
Chris

Sometimes simply eliminating their food source with a grub control product will help...sometimes not.

The most effective mole control is a mole trap.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've also been reading on the subject (on-line) and you are right, there is no easy solution :-( Most repellants, chemicals, etc. apparantly don't work. Trapping appears to be the only effective way of doing it, and if you have more than a couple of moles, it's a long term process. Oh, well,... I think I'll order a few traps and give it a shot.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

There are three different kinds of traps. Harpoon, scissors and pincher. Each kind takes a different technique. I like the pincher style. I know how to use them and they work well.

Reply to
Pat

So, after you get rid of the mole(s), do they eventually come back and have to do it all over again?

BTW, in your opinion, what are the advantages of a "pincher"? (have seen the harpoon and the scissor types but not the pincher type, what do they look like?) Also, I saw prices for mole traps on-line, ranging from $6 to $30 each. Is there a specific, reasonable source you know of?

I am finding that I have a lot to learn, in order to fight moles :-) Different traps, different techniques, different results. Some swear by the "scissors type", others by the "pincher type". It'll be a looong process to learn about and get rid of these pests.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I had them for several years and finally used a phosphorous based poison in their tunnels that got rid of them.

Reply to
Frank

I also saw something called the "Pro Mole Trap". They claim it's better than the rest. Has anyone tried it?

Chris...

Reply to
Chris

Yes. Moles move into new teritory in the spring. Once they are under control you have to dig out the traps every spring and catch a couple.

The advantage is that I know how to trap with pincher traps. Look here

and
bought mine at a farm supply store called Wilco. You need two. I think I paid around $20 ten years ago for two.

Make sure of your critter. Moles make a hill shaped like a volcano by pushing the dirt up in the center. Gopher traps are bigger than mole traps and won't work for moles. Make sure you have the correct trap for the pest you are trapping. Learn the proper technique for the trap.

Reply to
Pat

Thanks, that's one of the web pages I found (after I posted here) and has lots of useful information. I was looking for the *easy* solution, but of course, there isn't any :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It is a simple scissor trap. It's claim is fame is it doesn't need much hand strength to set it.

Reply to
Pat

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as the snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass? Should I be trying something else? We are talking about dozens of holes/tunnels all over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated. Chris...

Reply to
trailer

i have the nash traps ,spike type ,and scizzor type. the nash trap seems to get em about ever time they set it off,its a pretty sensative trigger. but i get many with a shovel. i go out and walk the tunnells down, wait 20 minutes and sneak out slowly to see em pushing up the tunnells.push shovel in behind them and flip em out on the ground. this method will give you some insight after a while how they work tunnells, if they get scared,they ususlly wait 20 minutes to start digging again .ive also put moth balls in the tunnels but dont know if it helped. when they push up a big hill of dirt they are usually making a bedroom, i clear away the dirt pile to find the tunnell and pour in a strong gallon mix of bleach and water,many times they come running out and i get em with a shovell.i never had success with killing the grubs or the castor oil repellants.i cut some moles open and they were mostly full of earthworms . lucas

ds549

Chris

Growing up in the southeast (central NC) I have seen the best mole solution (or at least, a major improvement) has been to plant Castor Bean seeds at various locations around the perimeter of my property, as well as in a few other random places too. Castor Bean Plants are annuals in zones less than 10 or so, but they seed toward the first winter frost and drop seeds that will come up again year after year. All my life I have used these rather attractive, tropical looking plants in my landscaping and Yes, they can cut down your Mole problems in a major way. Some of the major seed/landscaping magazines are showing them in feature articles as attractive plantings as well. ***The moles tend to avoid areas with castor bean plants, and once mine grow up in the warmer spring, my mole 'tunnels' begin to decrease a lot too. I don't have time to go to the expense of ground spraying with poisons for the grubs, nor do I have the patience to stay out in a 'mole hunt' trying to catch or whack them. But the castor bean plants have been a major item in my landscaping for over 40 years, first for 'mole control', but have begun to appreciate the looks of the plants too. Yes, they are toxic plants, so if you handle the seeds or plants, simply wash your hands well. But afterall, mums & many other common flowers and plants you never thought were toxic or poisonous shouldn't be handled either without washing. Ck your state's listing of Poisonous Plants for your state & am sure that you will be more careful about more common ones we have too. Not sure, but think Park's offers Castor Bean seeds in their current cat. If not, just Google Castor Bean Seeds. More common ones are green, but some have a reddish hue, so several varieties are attractive, but all help the moles go away, or avoid the areas......Hope you'll try !

Reply to
KNOX2000