Peanut variety for short season?

Probably 25 years ago, I remember growing a few peanut plants up in north central Ohio. I'm down barely into zone 6 now, and just remembered that I promised my son we could grow peanuts this year!

I didn't get much of a harvest a quarter century ago, because the season is kind of short, and we didn't get them planted early enough.

Realistically, I should order in the next day or so, and get them planted in the first week of May to ensure that we get a decent harvest.

I think we would mostly use them for salted boiling, or perhaps some peanut butter.

Can anyone recommend an early variety for short season growing? Thanks!

Reply to
Ohioguy

As a general rule of thumb, peanuts may be planted as soon as overnight lows are above freezing. This site suggests the "Virginia" types as short-season goobers at 100-120 days:

guess if they can grow'em in Utah, you ought to do all right in OH. I'm hardly in a short-season area (zone 9+) but, when I grow peanuts, I grow "Virginia jumbos", a variety that is easy to get because it's the variety most commonly sold in bags as raw dried peanuts in supermarket produce departments U.S.A.-wide. Most people err in believing they must wait until fall or first frost to harvest peanuts. By that time, the peas are too mature (for my taste, at least) and are beginning to lose their sweetness and beginning to get "starchy" the way other legumes do, the shells have begun to toughen; they are past their prime for boiling but are fine for peanut butter. Two or three weeks after the peanuts peg, begin testing for maturity by using your fingers to isolate and pick likely candidates. They don't object to being unearthed briefly provided they're not allowed to dry and are re-buried promptly. Peanuts are at their best when the skins is just turning from white to pink and the hull has just lost its soft fleshiness. Peanuts are best boiled when "green" or freshly dug, not dried. I never buy boiled peanuts for the simple reason that they are always made from dried peanuts and the peas will turn to mush long before the hulls get tender, if they ever do.

Reply to
Derald