Growing season in VT?

Hi-

I am transplated from VA here to VT and am curious about the growing season. I know its much shorter..perhaps up to two months..I like growing peppers of which some varities take 120 days to harvest. Is there a particular technique that Vermonters use? Seedlings in March and plant in April? I know its a bit late but...Perhaps bringing some plants indoors?

Any VT gardening tips appreciated.

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

look at

for short season varieties, also

escapee

Hiya and welcome to VT ---

April is a bit early for peppers here. The last average killing frost is about May 10 - though most gardeners here will not put more cold sensitive crops in until the end of May.

For longer harvest crops, many people start the seeds inside under grow lights in April, move out to the porch mid May, and plant at the end of May. Also, trying to find varieties that mature in less than

120 days would be a good idea. Most seed/plant stores here will sell you the appropriate varieties for the area. September is still fairly warm so you can generally get extend the season into mid=September.

One of the tricks is to find cold tolerant things to plant in April - I will generally plant potatoes, peas, carrots, onions in April, and start everything else inside and move out in mid-May to the porch, and plant at the end of May.

Some people use outdoor growing shelters, basically a three sided box up against a shed with a glass or plastic top that opens up - but I tend to think it's easier just to keep things inside under lights until mid May. It also depends on where you are in the state, you can be a bit more aggressive in terms of when you plant if you are in the Champlain Valley, which warms up a lot earlier.

Good luck --

Reply to
Ally

Thanks!

Yeah I planted my seeds about two weeks ago and expect to bring them inside for harvest probably. I have one strain that is about 160 days!!

this makes sense and I should have done that but too little, too late...next year...Mid-Late Septermber is about as far as you can stretch growing in VA too so thats not so bad!

Duly noted (for next year at least)

Yeah I don't think an outdoor growing shelter is in my best interest. I'd prefer to use full spectrum fluorescents- cheap bulbs/ballasts and easy to maintain..

I am in the coldest part of Vermont- Granville. I doubt it gets colder anywhere else. Literally sandwiched inbetween the Northfield and Green Mountains..so I'm in the worst-case scenario....well- I suppose worst-case would be on the summit of Killington but..:)

Thanks alot for the info!

Reply to
Some Dude