Is this a millipede?

I don't have a picture. I'll try to get one, the little buggers are FAST! When I was working my garden soil, I discovered I have a ton of orange thin worm/millipedes all thru my soil. They were maybe 2 inches long w/ a ton of legs. Their body was very skinny.
Do I need to do something to get rid of these things, or are they OK. Does anyone have an idea as to what they might be?
Sam wrote:

You need to catch and examine one, be careful as centipedes can have a danderous bite. If they have one pair of legs per body segment they are centipedes, which are carnivores, they will not harm your plants and spend their day eating little bugs in or on the soil, leave them be. If they have two pairs of legs per body segment they are millipedes which do not bite humans. They mainly eat vegetable garbage in or near the soil but they can also damage small plants. They are part of the natural re-cycling squad and unless you are sure they are damaging plants leave them be also.
David
In article <c6ce764e-51b8-472e-b156-cebc83ff2315

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millipede
http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/projects/milliped.htm
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm ? PgNm=TCE&ParamsARTA0005305
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/hortmatt/2008/03hrt0 8a1.htm
Sam wrote:

In addition to what others have said they might be Helgremites or Wireworms.
HTH
EJ in NJ