Fermented Pickles

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial ones.

Reply to
Andy Petro

Short answer is shelf life. When I have made my own pickles they are used to extend the harvest usually till next year. Then the cycle is repeated. I have been know to purchase canned pickles with lactic acid. Calcium chloride I don't know about. However Sodium Benzoate is death to my taste buds.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

CaCl is to keep them crisp, rather than soggy/limp. I've never used either one when I ferment pickles and haven't had an issue with sogginess (I do use grape leaves, which add tannic acid - this is supposed to make them crisper).

When I do it, the ingredients are: thick layer of clean, fresh grape leaves top and bottom; cukes; brine; dill, garlic, dried hot peppers.

- Mark

Reply to
Mark A.Meggs

I pickle shallots (do you call them that?) in the UK just using spiced vinegar. However I keep them in a net bag in a dry place for about three months before I pickle them. This takes a lot of water out of them and allows for a better absorption of the vinegar. They stay nice and crisp for about two years and are not too bad at three years, Some people leave them to soak in a strong brine (sodium chloride/salt) solution over night instead as this also removes some of the water. Trying them both together might put some of the water back in.

Bigal (UK)

Reply to
Bigal