Dill

Anyone know anything about growing dill? This is my first attempt at growing it and it seems to be wilting and already starting to die. Thanx!

Reply to
Niorun

Where are you located? It ain't called "dill weed" for nuthin!

I always save a bunch of seeds from the dry seed heads that got away from me, but generally get a nice stand where it grew the previous year and self seeded. If you started it indoors, maybe damping off disease, though the stuff is pretty robust.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

Dill likes a fair amount of sun, so plant in a position that gets at least

1/2 the day in sun. It is very fast growing. (60/90 days) and is fine in poor quality soil. There should be no need to fertalize it. Sow seeds directly into the bed and don't plant too deep. (good rule of thumb is the smaller the seeds the shallower you plant them)

It really can become quite a weed. I planted some dill 2 years ago, and havent had to plant anymore since (self seeds nicely) It does like a reasonable amount of moisture so if there is no rain, and the soil quality is loamy, remember to water it regularly.

Reply to
Liza

I am in West Michigan.

Reply to
Niorun

I am in Detroit and the earliest of my volunteer dill is about a foot tall with many more plants just now poking through the straw mulch I put down last fall for the garlic.

Why not scratch the soil up a little bit, sprinkle some seed and smooth it all out with your hand? I'd guess that your earlier dill got whacked with some of the funky weather we've been having and that a second planting would do just fine.

Bill

Reply to
Bill