Pickles !

We had enough cucumbers all at once so the wife put up 6 pints of dill pickles today . In a few days we'll try them and decide if it's worth the effort to make more - she's never done pickles before . Now I gotta get in the kitchen and cut the okra up to freeze .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I made a small jar of pickled tai hot peppers. Several family members love hot peppers, so I'll be seeing if they like them or not.

We have some habanero and ghost peppers still on the bushes not quite ripe, yet. This is the first year we actually got ghost peppers to fruit! I'm kind of curious which family member will dare the others to eat some!

Reply to
Muggles

We pickled some sweet peppers last year that were very good. Added a few garlic pieces to each jar and that boosted the flavor. At our age we can't handle the hot peppers anymore but I don't miss them either.

Reply to
George Shirley

give 'em three weeks or so (unless you have extras in the fridge :) ). sometimes i have a few odds and ends or dollops of extra brine that i keep in a quart jar in the fridge for snacking. it still takes a few days for them to brine enough for my taste.

as a kid i wasn't a fan of dill pickles but now i like them.

having fresh dill to use is great.

cheers,

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I can't eat the hot peppers I grow. We usually just grow them so we can give them away to family members who love the hot.

Reply to
Muggles

None of our spawn like hot peppers and we don't either. I had an uncle that lived to be 91 who ate pickled hot peppers every day until he died. Claimed that was how he got old, I think he was just pickled. Plus he liked his booze too, one snort at bedtime every day. I miss that old boy, he and my Dad taught me how to hunt, fish, play poker, and drink good whiskey. Next to him I am now the eldest Shirley male in my bunch, will be 78 in September. I can't drink whiskey, smoke, eat to much, or chase women anymore. My wife doesn't like those things for me to do.

Reply to
George Shirley

My MIL is now 91, and she insists she's not ready to leave this world, yet! Both of my parents are gone, now.

I learned to fish in the girl scouts, but never really learned to play poker, hunt or drink good whiskey. I'm more into a fine wine just every now and then.

Oh, I can understand why your wife doesn't like some of those things! LOL

Reply to
Muggles

My eldest sister ran a Girl Scout group. My Dad and myself were Scout Masters. I have a multitude of patches, starting at 11 plus the Eagle Scout, alas my only son didn't care for Scouting but my daughter was a Girl Scout, ran a Girl Scout troop, and, currently is a Scout Executive and her only grandson is now a Cub Scout. About sixty years of scouting here and, we're hoping some of the great grands will continue the trip.

Heck, I was a "Lone Scout" when I was in the U.S. Navy, wore my Navy uniform with my merit badge strip and my Eagle Scout when I worked with the Scout Troop my destroyer ran in Newport, RI. Nowadays I go to my great grandson's Cub group when they're having a big badge hand out for the boys and girls my daughter insists I wear my merit badges and talk to the children.

I truly believe that Scouting has kept a lot of children out of being thugs and thieves.

My MIL lived to be 100 years old and her cousin, born on the same day, made it to 101. My wife might live that long but I sometimes I hear trumpets playing already.

Reply to
George Shirley

Scouting made me learn Morse code; which led to a ham license, which led to a stint as airborne radioman, which let to a career as broadcast tech.... so, it's all their fault!

Reply to
R. Daneel Olivaw

I was in Girl Scouts since Brownies and went all the way up through Seniors and got First Class GS. We moved to a different state when I was in my Junior year and there wasn't a troupe there, so that ended my Girl Scout career.

I still have my sash with all the badges and bells and whistles, including my hat! Oh, the memories! lol

I still can't get the motto out of my head, "Be Prepared!".

Reply to
Muggles

My son is a bit of a broadcast tech these days!

Oh, and your signature with the pgp key is cool!

Reply to
Muggles

When I moved back to Texas five years ago I donated all my Boy Scout stuff to a local museum with the exception of my Merit Badge sash, it's in a museum in San Francisco. My daughter has my Eagle Badge because she wanted it.

Reply to
George Shirley

We older folk think of Tom Lehrer's version.

Reply to
Gary Woods

What's Tom Lehrer's version?

Reply to
Muggles

Lehrer did a lot of satyrical songs back in the day, including many for "That was the week that was," hosted by David Frost.

Best you look it up on youtube; there's lots of his stuff there.

Reply to
Gary Woods

And another 6 pints today . Looks like this might be a weekly thing until the cukes quits .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Those ghost peppers are intense. We grew some a few years back and they were dangerous. Be careful picking and processing them; wear gloves and masks.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I saw one of the ghost peppers turning red, today, but didn't pull it. I didn't get many fruit, but I guess I don't need many! lol

Reply to
Muggles