Early spring likely in east Oz

We have had a week of temperatures up to 24C, it is cooler today with overcast and drizzle but not really cold.

Most of the deciduous plants are budding, I had to hurry and finish pruning the roses before the rain. Now all I need is a nice frost in the last week of August to knock off the buds.

Tell me why is it that people who like roses want you to grow them but never volunteer to prune them? I consented to planting six (not a lot I know) a couple of years ago. According to the vendor information they were nice restrained cultivars that grow to 1.5m. Lies, all lies! The bloody things grow 3m high or more and the trimmings from each one fill a small wheelbarrow. I do so hate getting caught up and impaled by rose thorns.

I still have tangelos, lemons and cumquats on the trees. The broad beans are flowering well and covered in bees but no fruit set yet. I am trying a spring planting of peas this year to try to avoid the too-cold-to-flower-and-fruit blues.

I will be sowing my seed trays for all the transplantable summer crops this week. We went to the local nursery to pick up a couple of packets of seeds that I was missing and found they had no okra. Bless his little cotton socks the owner dipped into his personal stash of saved seeds and gave me some. Who said the days of customer service were over.

For those who care there are quite a few new shots of the garden, floods, frosts and animals in our imitation winter.

David Hare-Scott

i used to consider it a sacrifice to beauty. now i much prefer to not have them and since the soil is so wrong for them in most of the yard/gardens here i don't want to spend the money or time on them again.

i was going to go out today and turn under the bolting lettuces and stick in some peas hoping to get some pods before the frosts come. i'm not sure it will work out, but they would mainly be for adding extra nitrogen to the soil as a cover crop than anything. very humid today, and i've been on the go for many days so today is likely going to be a day of reading and not much else.

:) how long are okra seeds viable?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I can't use that excuse as clearly my soil is right for them... Maybe I can discover some new improved fertiliser that will kill them.

How long have you got til first frost?

i'm not sure it will

I am not sure, I think these were from last season so they ought to be OK. I will reveal the result in a month or so.

David Hare-Scott

Thanks for the link David - your garden and surrounds look good. I think you might be right about that early spring. And we're at the beginning of rose pruing ATM - only at least 112 roses to go.

Reply to
FarmI

Now I know why I don't grow roses.

Reply to
SG1

heh. :) some things we do for love.

p.s. i never trust vendors or catalogs much these days. i try to get plants i really care about from the guy i know who actually does get it right.

mid to late september, cutting it close i think, but the cover will be good enough anyways.

i'm aware of some left over okra seeds at a hardware store and was curious if they would be viable enough in the second year to make a offer to take them off their hands... i'm sure some would sprout next year, but if most of them wouldn't then it wouldn't be worth it as i can just wait and get newer seeds next spring.

my brother might have some direct experience so i'll ask him too.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I dislike roses also. One needs an arsenal of chemicals to keep them looking nice. The clippings do not compost well, need special gloves, just not worth the extra work. I much prefer peonies to roses.

This late in the season, I would plant pumpkins, they can handle a frost or two. Winter squash may also work out well. Or more leaf lettuce or spinach.

Of course he has left over okra seeds, okra does not typically grow well here. However...

I wish I had planted Okra this summer because it was so hot. Normally Okra does not grow well in Michigan. The plant is stagnant when temperature hangs around the 70's fahrenheit. Grows very well when the temperature hits the 90's Fahrenheit. They are some northern varieties but still slow growing. Takes about ten plants for just one meal because of the slow growth during normal Michigan temps.

Last three days, the pickling Cucumbers are coming in and I have pickled nine pints of Bread and Butter pickle slices and ten pints of dill pickle spears. Frozen seven pounds of green beans. The rain is now coming and going regularly and with the nice warm weather, looks like the corn and tomatoes are starting to look real nice. Have no need for hand watering the last three weeks.

For something new, I may try pickling the squash next week.

Reply to
Nad R

To songbird... Your posting is around 1:30am. Can't sleep either :) Or you are also from the land of OZ?

Reply to
Nad R

Nad R wrote: ...

i'm a night owl in drag. :)