110v - 240v Yankee tolls in Oz

G'day all, My Delta scroll saw is falling apart after about 5 years of moderate work. I have jerry rigged bits and pieces but it is time for a New one I'm afraid. The catch- Delta won't ship parts over seas and B&D Oz, don't have any yet and will not have in the foreseeable ffuture. Now if you think rocking horse shit is scarce, try finding a reasonable scroll saw in Oz. After reading posts on this news group and googling my finger of I have come to conclusion that the 20" Dewalt is one of the best value for money saws there is, but Not in Oz. Nobody here stocks them and B&D say they have no intention of importing them.

So, now to the nitty gritty:- Does anyone in Oz or NZ have a US machine that runs on a 110V to 240V inverter ?? If so are there any problems ?? Is there a method which allows the voltage of the motor to be changed from 110v to 240v ?? (I have noticed on some appliances there is a switch with both voltages marked) Lastly if I was to purchase a machine from the US is there any companies which I should stay away from???

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

If you reply, thanks heaps for your assistance

Kind regards John

Reply to
John B

It's all about how the motor is wired inside. Most machines here in the US with 1.5 horse motors seem to be able to be wired either way. The larger machines are 220 only. The smaller machines with universal motors are 110 only. Since a scroll saw is quiet, I'm inclined to believe that it's an induction motor. You may be able to switch a few wires, change the plug and make it work. Worst case, you could replace the motor or send it out to be rewound. You should send an email to dewalt sales support and ask them if the motor can be wired for 220. They'll think you're insane since it's a small motor, but you might be able to get a wiring diagram out of them.

Maybe you can take the motor from the delta and graft it onto the dewalt?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Reply to
Mike Berger

If your scroll saw motor has brushes it's an universal motor. (The DW788 has an universal motor. I know because I have that saw...) It will run fine on a 240/110 transformer. (No 50/60Hz issue).

Here is an example:

2-300 Watts should be enough for a scroll saw.

You can buy the DeWalt from these guys:

The shipping will cost you though...

JES

Reply to