Hot

At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years. We're hiding in the air conditioned house.

Gardens will have to wait to be watered until around 9pm CST when the sun is actually going down. Birds aren't flying or singing, maybe the bug eating birds will fly after dark around the retention pond.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Running in upper 90's with high humidity here in northern DE. Hard to do anything outside.

Reply to
Frank

finally got a little rain tonight and hoping for more the next few days. we'll see, but it looks hopeful.

hot today, yep, again looking to moderate a bit tomorrow and then even better through next week at least until Thursday. i really want to get back out and get some digging done. i've been able to weed a few hours here or there in the morning and get some watering done, but that's pretty much it for the day.

putting up pickles yesterday. that was enough too...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

90 to 100F here in the day. 50-55F at night. Humidity is about 30% right now, but will dip to abut 10 to 15% as the day goes on. No rain in sight.

I have been watering after dark too. Is that a good idea?

Humidity here is always high, we're fifty miles from the Gulf of Mexico and have a river and several lakes nearby. Living near Houston, TX means living with high humidity and to many people and vehicles. That being said, this where our children, grands, and great live so we do too.

It beats watering in the hot sun and letting the plants blister. Try not to get the leaves and stems wet, we water with small soaker hoses and keep an eye on them. We run the water on extreme low and sometimes let it soak overnight. Wet plants at night can bring on mold and other things you don't want.

Reply to
George Shirley

I use a soaker wand and trigger it under the canopy. Each plant get about 1 to 3 cups of water every day. Leaves never get wet. I started doing it this way as the muni is putting in water meters. And when you spray the trunks, the squash bugs come wandering out, making them easy to kill

Everything here has a meter, gas, water, electric, no one comes to read them as they all have computers on them that send the usage straight to the company. I wonder how many meter readers were laid off when they started that.

Moving back home to Texas was a real shock after 24 years in rural Louisiana. We had meter readers by the house every month. I always knew when they were there when the dog threw a fit.

Back in the day when electric meters had the same size studs a friend of mine got caught pulling his meter out and reversing the studs. He even had a stash of electric company tags so they wouldn't know, unfortunately they caught him one day when he forgot to put it back right. I think that's when the electric company changed meters with two different sized studs. In addition they put his meter 20 feet up the pole and charged him a fee for having to climb it to read the meter.

Reply to
George Shirley