Blueberry Query

Hello, I'm new here. I'm in SE toward central PA, USA in a 6a/b zone. I have blueberries awaiting planting.

I'm thinking of putting 3 bushes in a slightly acid 6.3Ph and adding cottonseed meal and mulch with wood chips, in dappled shade until 10AM then sun until 6PM and low, as in cool air flowing from a hillock down to them but still good drainage. However, there will be no relief from

75-88 deg weather and afternoon sun we usually get in late July and early August.

And putting 3 more bushes higher in the hillock about 45 apart, 6 Ph soil that I will supplement with cottonseed that gets sun from 9AM to

1PM and 3PM to 6PM.

Is this a good idea or should I put them all together in either location?

Thanks for your input.

LK

Reply to
LK

Blueberries like acidic, well-drained, sandy soil and a high water table where they can keep their roots wet, but not soggy.

Blueberries are big business in SNJ, so the summer temperatures in SE PA won/t be a problem.

Blueberry is not a heavy feeder, so go easy on the cottonmeal or you won/t get may berries.

Reply to
TQ

First order of business, Blueberries like an acid soil, ph 4.5 - 5.5. They will probably sulk at 6.0

Reply to
farmerdill

Adjust the ph by mixing sulfur powder with the top 3-4 inches of the soil in which you plant the berries. You don't need the cottonseed meal, compost would actually be better and then mulch is good. Continue mulching with pine straw, pine bark nuggets or chopped up leaves from a shredder or lawn mower. Fertilize sparingly with an ammonia based fertilizer for acid loving plants.

Blueberries have a shallow root system so don't plant them too deep. If it's dry especially when they are setting fruit, they need watering. Good luck.

Reply to
Ernie