I'm curious; Anyone here have the New Unisaw?

Hey all, Anyone here own or have tried the new Unisaw? Any comments? Thanks, Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

One comment, yeah... :)

Why would one need a Unisaw when already have a Model 66?

--

Reply to
dpb

Or a couple nice rip and cross-cut panel hand saws?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Nope. I have a new(ish) old one.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 23:24:05 -0400, "John Grossbohlin" wrote the following:

Disston and Atkins will do nicely, but my ryoba from Japan Woodworker gets most of my time nowadays.

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

From what I understand from the Woodcraft guys, if the new Unisaw is setting next to a SawStop TS the SawStop sells. My local Woodcraft has not yet sold it's first new Unisaw since it got the saw last year.

Reply to
Leon

The first thought I had when I saw the old Unisaw had been discontinued in favor of this new one: If you're going to compete in the SawStop's pricing territory, you'd better have a _much_ better product or you're going to have a dud on your hands. If this new machine goes belly-up and gets discontinued, that leaves Delta without any high-end offering at all... Reintroduce the "Unisaw Classic" with a riving knife and a competitive price and I'd bet they sell like hot cakes.

Reply to
Steve Turner

"Steve Turner" wrote

An Asute observation.

I used to work in marketing research. One big problems that a lot of biz folks had is that they only saw competition as with themselves. The rest of the world did not matter. They only competed with themselves. For some folks, that worked. Like the HP printers. They obsoleted their own products. So it worked for them.

Like you pointed out, Sawstop is a game changer in its price/features range. Either Delta has to take them on directly or go to another catagory of the tablesaw market. They need to directly address the competition out there in the world. NOT compete with one of their own OLD products. A lot of folks don't get that comcept. A lot of businesses die because of this.

There also is an obsession with the top end of the market. Many companies want a high end product for prestige and a bigger markup/profit. What they don't get, apparently, is that even on the top end, THERE IS COMPETITION! And if you are late to that market, you are fighting an uphill battle. You better have something that people want. You better have some way that you can distinguish your product from the others. Or you have just another late to market, forgettable product.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

What I'm seeing is that it's got a lot of "yeah, it would be nice to have that" features but no "I'm gonna go drop 3 grand on a new saw to have that" features.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Correct. I didn't pay half that for the feature when buying a new saw. I certainly wouldn't replace the saw for the feature.

Reply to
keithw86

"J. Clarke" wrote

Yep, There are the cheap knock offs. And there is the high end product. But not a lot between.

And there is a BIG market out there for a good middle of the road product and tools. Both in terms of serious amatuers and small business folks.. It is a big market that is often not served well by many manufacturers.

I think that the reason that Grizzly has doine so well is that they have a wide range of products in each catagory. Everything from cheapo hobbyist models to big industrial models. And everything in between. You can choose the exact level of price/performance/features you need.

Which is why a lot of businesses buy Grizzly. They represent a good value. And it is very easy to buy them too. No shiny shoed salesman or pushy distributors. And often, no local taxes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think the $$$$ is the show stopper.

Nice features, but is it worth the extra $1500 over the older Unisaw ?

$3,000 is a real chunk for the average homeowner.

I have a 1966 12/14" Delta and a 1973 Unisaw that I need to restore.

I'm good for the duration.

marc rosen wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

If the average home owner is going to spend that kind of money, then they might consider a Laguna scoring tablesaw for as little as $795 more. Should be sufficient to give bragging rights in front of all the other homeowners on the street.

Upscale

Did he mention what it was that was driving people away from the Unisaw?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I would assume it was its price.

Reply to
keithw86

More than a few times they mentioned that for pretty much the same price the SawStop offers a finger saver and at the very least the same quality.

Additionally SawStop is getting ready to come out with its 3rd cabinet saw, runs on 110 volt.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

Let me guess. All your Festool toys are gathered around your Laguna bandsaw. :)

Speaking about Laguna, I had a good look through their web site. Really liked their push button operated panel saw that cuts to .005 tolerances.

Must run and buy my lottery ticket.

Reply to
Upscale

Laguna products can be as addicting as Festool. About 4 years ago I decided to up grade my BS and went with a Rikon 18"er. I took it back as it was marginally better than what I had when considering features I was looking for. I looked into Laguna and sent of for their demo CD and that was that. They have/had a demo CD/DVD that goes really well with a bowl of pop corn.

Reply to
Leon

Be careful; Laguna can be hit-n-miss. While I love my bandsaw, I'm not quite so enamoured of the horizontal mortiser. The bandaw was built in Bulgaria, the Mortiser in China.

(The 220V 3HP mortiser came with a NEMA 5-15P instead of a 6-20P plug, and was a different unit than the unit in the video on their web site; the unit in the video had a mitre slot and mitre gauge, the newer unit has a useless mitre-gauge handle with no mitre slot milled on the table. Someday I'll post a more complete review of the unit; it's a good value for the price, but milling mortices in rail ends requires a shop-made fence).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal