Too good to be true?

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-betavoltaic-10.1.html

Course, it's only good for guys who are bald cuz' if you aren't, you will be using this puppy :-)

They "use radioisotopes as the energy source. As the radioactive material decays it emits beta particles that transform into electric power capable of fueling an electrical device like a laptop for years. Although betavoltaic batteries sound Nuclear they're not..."
Decaying radioisotopes....isn't that what killed the Curies?
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I've got a pretty funny story about tritium gas...
On a relatively recent project, the building had exiting self lit exit signs. These signs were powered by tritium gas. They have a serial number and a 20 year life. Apparently the energy department keeps a pretty good handle on the things, but they're not really that dangerous.
The electrician on the project was supposed to remove the signs and brackets during the remodel and then re-install them. The owner actually had the signs removed, with the brackets, packed them neatly in a box and set them aside.
Near the end of the project it was time to re-install the signs. Somebody working for the electrical contractor couldn't find the installation brackets and put a screw through the middle of the sign to attach it to the wall. Then he did it 6 more times on 6 more signs.
We gave the electrical contractor a great scare--we told him they were radioactive (which the label on the sign clearly states). After contacting the company regarding the issue, they provided us with the MDS sheets. The gas is only potentially harmful if inhaled. The amount of tritium gas in the sign was very small and it would dissipate very quickly, leaving the signs inert and harmless, and no real danger from the escaped gas. We didn't tell the electrical contractor this. We were amazed how quickly he tried to get he issue resolved.
Needless to say, the electrical contractor purchased all new exit signs...

Nah... just their sex lives :-P

Yes
http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006069o-2000331777b,00.htm
--