Too good to throw away

Having decided out desktop is no longer needed and it wasn't worth passing on, I decided that the case would take up less room in the bin if I stripped the innards out and flattened it..........
I was impressed by the standardisation that must have been agreed so that components could easily be fitted and added with just a few screws.
The motherboard (ASUS) - well, I can't bring myself to throw this away. The tiny tracks on the circuit board - the standardised sockets - the lever operated socket for the processor. All amazing works of mass production.
The Hard Disk drive. I don't think I have ever seen such a wonderful peice of precision engineering - all for a very low cost.
Next to appreciate on its way to the bin will be the CD drive.
The power supply has gone on e-bay as it was fairly new.Again - impressive in the way that so many standard voltages and plugs are agreed upon.
Should I seek help?
On 15/01/2016 10:12, DerbyBorn wrote:

Nope, no need, there are a few that see the beauty in old PC parts.
Perhaps making the wife new shoes.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/08/article-2097931-119F88E9000005DC-108_634x385.jpg
On 10:21 15 Jan 2016, soup wrote:

They're quite stylish actually. I hope they have twinkling LEDs. :-)
--
pamela

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 10:12:19 GMT

I thought up to this point that you were referring to the top of a desk, and was wondering why you would put its case in a bin.
--
Davey.

On 15/01/2016 10:12, DerbyBorn wrote:

What have you done to disable it?
DerbyBorn scribbled

Rather than bin so much, you could offer the comp to a charity that can reuse it -
https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/environment/rubbish_waste/az_waste/C/items /Computers.asp
On 15/01/2016 11:25, Jonno wrote:

The real cost in doing that is the time to wipe the hard disk to a really good standard. It's far easier just to hit it hard with a big hammer.
Even an old PC may be able to run a lightweight OS. RemixOS is a version of Android that may be interesting.
https://otacdn.jide.com/ota/Remix_OS_for_PC_64_B2016011102_Alpha.zip
Very new, so I guess the alpha means you would be testing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMO9v4jmcsI

On 15/01/2016 11:30, GB wrote:

The official release is out: http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc#downloadNow

Or run DBAN on it.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 15th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Friday, 15 January 2016 12:53:56 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Doesn't La Palma have a volcano or are you just a compulsive tosser.

It has several, actually. I worked for 14 years at an observatory on the rim of the crater of the largest one, the Caldera de Taburiente.
http://www.iac.es/eno.php?op1=2&lang=en

Looked in the mirror lately? I'm waiting for your apology, though suspect it won't be forthcoming.
Wanker.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

A load of bollocks. There are plenty of programs that can be used to wipe a hard drive, for free - Crap Cleaner for instance. And exactly how many people get a hard drive in the hope of obtaining the secrets of some unknown previous user. It's yet another myth probably coming from Seagate, who's drives were known to spontaneously fuckup if there was a D in the day.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:32:01 +0000, Jonno wrote:

items

If you're a terrorist, a single pass LLF is a much better bet than smashing it with a hammer. If you prefer to "get physical" with the destruction of a drive's data, then use either an oxyacetylene torch or a very hot furnace. At least that way, you won't have to google a decade old drive model to confirm whether or not PMRL was used before relying on a LLF to erase the data.

Ah! A man after my own heart (re the Seagate putdown). :-)
A LLF (just overwriting every sector with zeros using the manufacturer's disk drive diagnostic or the dd command to do exactly the same thing - the LLF isn't a true low level format) will more than suffice since the drive makers started using PRML read techniques to permit elimination of any redundancy in the written to track data patterns which the forensic data recovery techniques used to be able to rely upon with the older drive designs to collect enough incriminating snippets of data by which to bring a successful prosecution in a serious crime case.
If your only concern is to protect against the casual hacker, a LLF, even with pre-PRML drive models will more than suffice.
--
Johnny B Good

Simples answer .. just re record lots of old Max Bygraves toon's on them no self respecting hacker would ever tolerate 'em;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Costs nothing to use DBAN and bugger all time too. http://www.dban.org/

Bullshit.

On 16/01/2016 03:13, jack wrote:

It takes ages to run, although I agree you don't have to stand over it. Hitting the drive hard with a big hammer takes virtually no time, and is quite satisfying. :)

Would bullshit work better than a hammer?

On Saturday, 16 January 2016 10:35:32 UTC, GB wrote:

It does for Rodney, every time.
(you're replying to one of Wodney's many nyms)

Wodney's bullshit would wipe a drive to a post-nuclear Armageddon state.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 11:30:17 +0000, GB wrote:

items

Unless the drive is so old that it predates the PMRL data reading technique that's been in common use for some 15 years or thereabouts, a single pass "Low Level Format" (LLF) using the disk maker's diagnostic programme will more than suffice even against the best attempts of government sponsored attempts at forensic discovery of scraps of incriminating data.
Smashing a modern disk with a hammer whilst effective against the casual data miner is actually less effective against detailed forensic techniques to recover sufficient snippets of incriminating data. You'd do much better with just a single pass LLF. For anyone with something they really want to hide, then an oxyacetylene torch or a really hot furnace will provide the unquestionable destruction they so crave of their data.
It seems a shame to destroy even a drive as small as 1% of the current top capacity drives available today (6TB - forget the 8TB Archival shit from Seagate). A 60 GB drive can still offer enough storage to experiment with even recent versions of windows or *nix based distros.

That's fine if you fancy dabbling in older computer OSen but beside the point if one is merely freeing up storage space by eliminating unused / out of date / outlived its usefulness kit.
TBH, it sounds as though Derbyborn has already taken the drive apart making it beyond redemption as a functioning device (all that "wonderful peice (sic) of precision engineering" is contained within the confines of a far from transparent metal housing).
However, I do understand his feelings with regard to the junking of, often still functioning gadgets, merely because a more powerful and even cheaper collection of such clever gadgetry has rendered it completely obsolete in all but a few usage cases where its primary function remains unchanged.
--
Johnny B Good