Sexism in the work palce...

> No problem... point well taken...

To the Newsgroup:

Is there 1:1 females practicing in your firm today? Last I look at graduate schools ... in the studios... it was not 1:1. And are the female architects getting paid the same? Same benefits? Same expectations? Really... Let me help you pull the wool out of your eyes!

Female Architects are more likely to get laid off do to not being the bread winner in the family... miss conception most times but it is what it is. Female Architect have to prove themselves more and wait longer to get more responsibility on a project and are questioned all they... for example: I designed a scissors truss for an Elementary School while working for a Pa. firm. One of the Senior Associates was very excited and supportive but my equals were telling me it could not be done and it would not be more economical... I prove them wrong...

Another example was a code review for a large scale project. I was very complete but not as fast as my male counter part working on another project... the male counter part forgot to review the building for a large number of sections but it was okay with the Principles knowing a senior associate was going to review his work. That same Senior Associates call me up personally and complemented me on my work and stated I did an excellent job. Stating that my work equated to much less time for him to do his review of my work... But one of the Principles in the firm told me I was much slower then other counter parts and more or less laid me off for being an excellent skilled worker that his firm didn't want to pay for. He would rather pay for a lesser skilled and not as competent worker. The Principle would rather pay for speed and mistakes then a complete well done job... My experience is female architect are more concern with quality of there work and do not watch the clock as male counter maybe more likely to do

As fare as sexism... all of my atmospheres I have worked in have been nothing but professional... But working on the East Coast and I might add Philadelphia Area... it is still quite hard for a female architect well over and above the cat calling on the job sites.

Can't win for losing...

Artist.

Reply to
Artist

What strikes me most about sexism in Architecture is that I find I can't really reply to your post as it requires.

Reply to
gruhn

Maybe...

Reply to