Response to 1957 Joiner posting

One thing I learned by painful experience: You see an ad in the paper, go over to somebody's basement to look at old machinery and go, "wow! Hefty-Duty, I gotta have this, if I can just get it up the stairs!" 1957 is certainly o.k. but if the tool is really old it may have babbit bearings which are probably worn out and nearly impossible to restore. Look for a small oil cup on top of the casting where the bearing is and you'll know it's the babbit type.

Reply to
BUB 209

by 1957 babbit bearings were pretty much gone. for that matter, replacing babbit bearings isn't all that big a deal. oil cups are also used on bronze sleeve bearings. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Are they as good as ball bearings?

Reply to
BUB 209

what do you mean "as good as"?

can they handle load? yes. do they last? if you keep them oiled, yes.

the top speeds are not what can be had from some very specialized and expensive ball bearings, but jointers aren't in that category of equipment.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

These are ball bearings that seem to be a bit dry. I'll replace them eventually, but the jointer is quite fine now.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall