New 1957 Jointer (with content)

Excuse the previous empty post--I got aroused and finished too soon.

I found a Rockwell Delta jointer circa 1957 (thanks Keeter) and made the 12 hour round trip from the Milwaukee area to the Des Moines area to pick it up. The seller is a shop teacher from SW Iowa who drove three hours to drop it off. At $600 it isn't a truly gloatable piece, but I've wanted an old machine to maintain my street cred with the local loons who collect this stuff. It sat in my garage for a week until Rick Chamberlain drove out and helped disassemble/lug/reassemble the thing in my basement. (Thanks Rick) While Rick was grunting with some bolts I rechecked the tables and fence. All dead flat. The motor is a Crescent pumpkin that runs just a smidge noisy, which is better than I was at 47. It's rated at 1 hp on 110 volts, but ol' Unisaw A100 says it will actually net 1.5 hp.The knives are marginal, but a new set is coming from the seller. For now it's a perfectly usable machine that will be a lot of fun to restore over the next generation or so. I've tentatively named it Rocket 88.

Bob Schmall Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious. Richard Feynman

Reply to
Bob Schmall

pictures?

Reply to
nospam

Repulsion-induction motor? Big buggers, aren't they? Watch the carbons.

Weird thing is, the one on our school's ancient saw looks every bit the same as on the shaper, which is a 1/2" light duty spindle type.

The motor is a Crescent pumpkin that runs just a smidge noisy, which

Reply to
George

Hey Bob. RC's a name I haven't read here in quite a while - unless he's posting under a psuedonym...

Congrats on the jointer and I second the call for Jpegs.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Not much to see so far, but I'll try some in a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Yep--Bay View Area Rick.

Soon.

Bob Bay View is an area of Milwaukee where we each lived long ago.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Hey Owen,

I sometimes come out of stealth mode to make politically incorrect commentary from time to time, but for the most part I have been content to watch the festivities from the sidelines.

Perhaps a pseudonym would spice things up a bit - I know my bride might like it! :-)

Happy New Year Owen.

And, BTW, the jointer - she's a beaut and a beast. It's time for Bahb to get a OWWM hat or apron or tool wrap...

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Hehe. Formerly Near North Side Rick, Menomonee Falls Rick, and Fashionable East Side Rick. Nowadays, most call me Resto Rick from New Berlin. :-)

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain