Planing with a Jointer?

Can you sufficiently plane a piece of wood on a jointer?

Reply to
Tim

For flatness, but not for thickness.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Reply to
JGS

For what?

You can use it to establish a flat face easily, a nearly parallel without too much effort, and a perfectly parallel face with some work . Use the techniques you would use if hand planing on the side to be made parallel.

OTOH, you don't need perfect parallel on most stuff, do you? You even take what is, and ruin it with planing, sanding and tweaking after assembly. If you ever get close enough to see it, you'll find antique furniture was often left as is from the scrub, not even the jack, on the insides and underneaths.

Reply to
George

Sufficient for what?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

"JGS" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...

I am curious, How? I can understand we can have 4 sides perfectly flat, but parallel??

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
JGS

I see, That's what I though too :-)

Reply to
Mike

I build airplanes for a living. I wonder what they would say if my goal was to build them like they did 100 years ago?

Reply to
CW

They'd probably say you are chronically obtuse.

Now if you built them like they did _fifty_ years ago, they'd be good for another twenty of bomb hauling....

Reply to
George

Doubtless the FAA inspector would have a long, serious conversation with you about things like basic safety standards.

The construction details on some of those old airplanes were just plain scary.

rcook5

No doubt.

Reply to
CW

Some years ago, a childhood friend called and invited me to join him in rebuilding a couple of airplanes. They were French-built, in the 1930s. I could read a little French at the time, and all the manuals were in French. I remember marveling at the workmanship of the woodworkers who built those airframes. I have never seen any wood more finely crafted.

Thirty-five years later, I'm again working on French airplanes. Metal and composite now, with amazing performance and technology. The workmanship is still superb, but no better than that of the workers who built those airframes of wood in the 1930s.

Dale Scroggins

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

By the 1930s aircraft designers and constructors knew what they were doing and the standards of aircraft workmanship were extremely high everywhere.

Before, say, 1910, it was a very different story.

--RC

rcook5