Low-Angle Jointer Plane?

Veritas' jointer plane is low angle, whereas the Lie-Nielsen is not. Can someone tell me which one is better under which circumstances?

I'd like to buy the Veritas because it is cheaper, but I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Personal preference. If you're cheap, get the Veritas. I've a couple of theirs, and I like 'em fine. The bevel up design makes for more knuckle clearance if you're a ham-handed type like me. LNs are a work of art as well as a working plane, so if you like really pretty, spend some more.

Reply to
George

To my eyes the Veritas handtools have a form-follows-function industrial chic thing going on. I think they look just fine.

To the original poster...the totes on the two are a bit different, so one might fit the hande better than the other. They have different adjuster styles, some people prefer one over the other.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Yeah, I dig 'em too. The LNs are maybe just a little too pretty for me. Plus, I like the idea that Lee Valley is trying new things. Like the repeatable throat setting on the bullnose plane - it's just a better plane because of it.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I like the way LV takes many of the old plane patterns they reproduce and makes changes that cause them to fit the hand better, be easier to adjust, or both, while retaining much of the "industrial chic" look. Compare the LV planes to the Stanley and Miller Falls and others that serve as the base pattern, and look closely. Most of the LV planes have significant improvements (also in materials, but that's largely a function of more modern metallurgy).

Reply to
Charlie Self