Low angle plane (stanley 62)

All,

I am looking to buy either a Veritas or L-N low angle plane (like the stanley 62). Does any one have experience with both or either. I have a couple of L-N planes and love them. However the L-N has no lateral adjustment mechanism, a feature I like to have to help fine tune the planes performance.

Thanks for your feedback.

Scot

Reply to
srazor

Earlier this month I bought the Veritas low angle plane.

It is very well built and has the Norris style adjustment which is a single mechanism which allows for lateral and forward/backward adjustment.

I do not have too much use of the plane, but so far I am pleased. Out of the box it was sharp, although I did hone the blade as recommended.

It appears to cut better than my old Stanly 9-1/2 which is not a low angle as the 62.

I looked at the L-N, and could not mentally justify the price difference.

The blade on the Veritas is very thick. I think this is due to not having a cap iron.

I think you will be pleased with either the Veritas or L-N. The Veritas has an adjustable mouth, like the Stanley. I forget if the L-N has this feature.

Dave Paine

stanley 62). Does any one have experience with both or either. I have a couple of L-N planes and love them. However the L-N has no lateral adjustment mechanism, a feature I like to have to help fine tune the planes performance.

Reply to
Tyke

I've got the L-N low angle block plane. The blade fits into the casting perfetly, I see no need for the lateral adjustment because there's no way it can get out of alignemnt as long as the cutting edge on the blade is square to the length of the blade.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Th e slot in the underside of the iron that mates with the depth adjustment knob allows enough lateral movement to manually cant the iron fully to the right or left such that it hits the inside walls of the body - IOW, no mechanism is necessary.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC