Stanley 118 Low Angle Block Plane

You folks here have helped me to cultivate an interest in planes. Today I found a Stanley 118 at an antique store for $32. It looked like it was in pretty good shape. Evidentally it is made of steel rather than cast iron--not sure whether this is a good feature or not. When I held it up to a straight edge I could see just a little light (wear) above the mouth (I suppose this is normal?). Does this plane sound like any kind of deal?

Thanks for your thoughts, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Not really a deal. You can get them for a good deal less than that, including shipping, on eBay.

Patrick Leach has an excellent web site if you're interested in Stanley planes. Here's what he has to say about the 118:

should look at the 9 1/2, 60 1/2 or 65. An adjustable mouth is a _really_ nice feature to have, so make sure that whatever model number you get it has that feature - some of the earlier models didn't have adjustable mouths.

RicodJour

I went to Google to see what a #118 Stanley looked like. I happened to go to this site:

enjoyed the layout and descriptions.

The author made two wonderful comments on this plane:

I love this plane, not because it's a good one to use, but because of its description in the catalogs - it was advertised as being "boy proof."

and

The cutter is pitched at 12 degrees, and is adjustable by an end screw. There is no adjustable mouth on this plane. This plane is also a piece of junk when compared to the other low angle block planes, but some might find it useful to strip paint.

Reply to
DanG

This auction ends soon but the bid is at $14.50 at the moment...

John Grossbohlin

My thoughts: Pass on the 118 unless you're just trying to fill out a collection of planes. Get an old 60 1/2, put a Hock blade in it and "Scary Sharpen" it. It will become a permanent resident of your shop apron pocket.

There's about a dozen current auctions on eBay for 60 1/2 planes as I write this.

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Thank you to all of you that replied to my post. I'm glad I didn't purchase the Stanley 118 plane I found in haste. I will keep my eyes out for an old

60 1/2 plane. How can I be sure I am looking at a good (i.e. old) one?

--Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fact is, 60 1/2s are easy. The new ones are just fine.

Reply to
CW

Is this the popular opinion around here? -Bill

Reply to
Bill

Don't know. Just know what works. They need tuning. Likely the old ones would too. 15 minutes and they work great.

Reply to
CW

Can't speak to the "new" 60 1/2, I have an older one. but the Stanley 12-060, their new-style block plane, works as well as the 60 1/2, and has a lateral adjusting lever as well. Only caveat is it is somewhat larger than a 60 1/2.

Reply to
Larry W