New to me plane, Stanley 7G

Yes there's a NoG7 cast into the bed, but I can't find anything in Google about it. I'm slowly working my way through the 726 patents issued on 2-17-20 but thought someone here might have heard of this one. I'd guess it's one of the innovations that didn't quite make it. Images, large and small available.

Joe Gorman

OK, replying to myself but I found the patent for the plane mechanism,

1331280, watch the wrap,
an easier to read version at
lead me to look for Edmund Shade which shows on
for schade on these pages to find the info about him. Oh, if you're searching uspto.gov by plane date Class 30 appears to be hand tools. That speeded up the search quite a bit. Joe
Reply to
Joe Gorman

in

patents

this one.

it.

It's a Stanley "Gage" (hence the 'G7') Jointer plane, based on a design developed by John Porcius Gage's company 'Gage Planes & Tools' before Stanley bought them out. It was later further developed into the Stanley No. 7 & 7C Jointer Planes, with an improved blade and cap iron mounting. The No. 7 had a smooth bottom, the 7C was corrugated.

From the amount of relief on both sides of the blade's cutting edge, it looks like someone was using it as a 'scrub' plane at some point in time.

Len

Reply to
Len

I've gotten a few 6's and 7's that had about the same relief on the sides. Could they have been doing it for speed with the jointers and counting on their smoothers for the perfectly flat surface by just slightly rounding the corners on the smoother? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

because Stanley bought the company that made these planes and and after a time phased this design out. The G statnds for Gage, a would-be competitor to Stanley. For the short time that Stanley produced planes using the Gage design, they used numbers like your plane has, i.e., the regular bench plane size designation with a G prefix.

Reply to
lwasserm

anything

of

make

on a

&

cutting

at

the

jointers and

just

Sounds reasonable to me.

Len

Reply to
Len

Thanks to all. Once I found the patent number and with the gage reference quite a few references turned up. For those who've been here a while this one may bring back a memory or two. It turned up when I had narrowed the search to category 30

me think of a well intentioned haircut that turned out not so well. Wonder if there's any relation between them:-) joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

replying to Joe Gorman, Alexis Rivera wrote: Some one just gave me a very rusty one and a Stanley #5. Are these worth anything since it's not a real Stanley.im excited to clean it up and use it. New to this type of wood working. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Alexis Rivera

It depends upon your sense of value. Don't quit your "day job". :-)

since it's not a real Stanley.im excited to clean it up

Reply to
Bill

Alexis Rivera wrote in news:_d0lD.540486$ snipped-for-privacy@fx13.am:

plane-tuning/

As long as your planes are in good structural condition (no cracks or signs of being dropped), cleanup and tuning can be well worth it. Take a look at the site linked above for some very useful information. (He's got a couple other hand plane pages that are worth a read.)

One tip: just because the sole looks shiny and clean doesn't mean it slides worth anything. (In my case, wax helped a little but not much.) You may have to resurface it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper