Re: Refurbishing old hand tools - follow up - How <I> did it

I recently asked about whether old hand tools should be refurbished, and if

>so, using which techniques. > Electrolytic rust removal was suggested, and it works great. > 15 minutes research on Google, 30 minutes for my boy and me to construct > the apparatus (he's a young teenager and actually had fun doing it!), and > we had some test pieces cleaned in 30 minutes. > Now, on to the real stuff. > Thanks Group. > > >
**********End Of Post*************
Reply to
<wild_hare

drilled a hole through one end of each.

- 2 minutes max. total.

The rebar gets corroded by the derusting process anyhow so you can skip that step. You can also use the electrolytic process itself to derust your sacrificial electrodes if you want.

It is ususally in with the laundry detergents.

end up. 10 more minutes in the bath, then a clean water rinse (you have to get the electrolyte off of them), wipe dry, and light oil (parts will flash rust if not treated upon removal). Looked new, with a couple of small pits.

I typically scrub the parts with a brass pot brush (found in the housewares section of the supermarket under running water and a little soap helps too.

Then I pop it into the oven at about 150 F or hit it with a hair drier. That post-derusting heating is essential for handsaws and other steel in the same hardness range. The electrolytic process drives hydrogen into the metal (hydrogen embrittlement) so the part will be prone to stress cracking unles sit is driven back out.

Then I typically slather Johnson's paste wax on it while it is still warm.

No kidding.

Good thing I don't have a swimming pool, I might be tempted to drive a rusty old van into it and dim the neightborhood lights.

Reply to
fredfighter

A). It doesn't have to be your pool. B). Make a video if you do it. ;)

RicodJour