Aluminum siding/roofs

We took a drive along Highway 20 (north part of Washington state), beautiful drive, as breathtaking as the Grand Canyon. Threw the agricultural areas we saw quite a few homes (expensive looking), sheds etc. use shiny aluminum on the roofs and some for siding. I happen to like it because it's practical (as it reflects heat), but wifey thinks it's to reflective and will be glaring. I guess it's a matter of taste, what do architects think? TIA Ken
Try posting in alt.construction too. There are some folks from Washington state with knowledge and tatse. TB