Repairing aluminum siding

I have a small cape with 35 year old aluminum siding. Siding is in good shape over all, but on each side of the doorway to the 2 car garage, the jams have been rubbed with cars, bending the crap out of the aluminum which covers the area. I understand from asking a couple house painters that in general, aluminum siding is no longer available. What can I apply to these areas to replace the aluminum? Vinyl siding would be fine, but it would have to be shaped to conform to the multiple 90 degree turns of the jam area. I'd like to do this myself, basically all I'd need would be 2 pieces about 8 feet long bent to the same multiple bends of the existing aluminum, (minus the dents, of course ;-) What supplier might be able to do this? If I were to take an undamaged 1 foot section to somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot (which I assume sells siding for installation) would they be able to replicate it's profile in vinyl about 8 feet long? If not would a commercial siding materials place be able/willing to form 2 pieces of vinyl this way for a repair? Luckily, it only has to be white.

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You can purchase the aluminum coil from any siding supplier.

Rent a bending brake to bend it to the specs you need. You might be able to get a sheetmetal or duct work shop to do bend it for you.

Rich

Rich

Dan,

I'd advise getting some advise from somebody who actually performs the type of aluminum siding repair that you are seeking. House painters are not a good source of information and most will not be very knowledgable in this area. Also, the friendly folks at Home Depot aren't going to be able to "bend" vinyl or provide good answers to your questions. Breaking aluminum to match is certainly beyond the capabilities of HD - you need a long break (16' or more) and a break that does angles other that 90 degrees or 45 degrees.

About 80% of the homes in our community (11,000 homes) had extensive siding damage from a big hail storm last year. Most replaced their existing aluminum siding with vinyl - some by choice and others because the exact match for the aluminum was not available. But many stayed with the aluminum siding and got new aluminum for the damaged side(s) of their homes. In some situations, the new aluminum siding or the old had to be painted to match. Even for white paint, the old and the new don't look identical. My aluminum siding was 38 years old and an exact match was available for both the siding and the corner pieces. My color was too faded to match, so repainting would have been necessary. (I opted for a vinyl replacement).

As I checked on options for fixing our home, I observed that 2 insurance adjusters for our home plus several contractors all had different opinions about the possibility of obtaining aluminum siding to match. So, I'd advise that you check with more than one source. If you are lucky, you siding and corner pieces may still be available.

Also, in every community there are homeowners who are upgrading their siding and having old aluminum siding removed. The old aluminum siding is sold for scrap. You may be able to work out an arrangement with a home improvement company to sell you some old siding which they have removed.

Most siding installers work on a "piece work" basis. They aren't paid for removing the old aluminum siding, but they are allowed to keep the aluminum that they remove and they get the cash value for the recycled aluminum. Working directly with such a crew might be a viable consideration. It would certainly be less expensive since this would be an easy opportunity for an installer to sell you a few dollars worth of otherwise scrap aluminum for $50 or so. Everybody comes out ahead that way. Several homeowners in our area did this by watching for the start of work on homes with similar siding and approaching the tearoff/installation crew. The work crew would carefully remove a few long sections of siding, being careful not to crease it. They'd set it aside and install it later for the second homeowner as a side job.

I Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reply to
Gideon

What you are probably trying to replace is what is known as capping and was most likely custom bent for your jams.

Any company that installs vinyl siding can replace the capping with a new piece of aluminum.

Even though the siding is vinyl, all the trim is still covered with aluminum bent on a metal bending brake onsite.

The trouble you may find is that its a very small job and you may not find anyone to do it. Look around the neighborhood for any houses being resided to see if anyone would do it.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Hi, Vinyl? They're as bad as aluminum siding in hail storm. And how about in fire? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nerver, EVER use those guys for any siding work! They are wrong on SO many points! Are you sure they were really contractors? Or are you trolling here?

Pop

90 | degree turns of the jam area. I'd like to do this myself, basically all | I'd need would be 2 pieces about 8 feet long bent to the same multiple | bends of the existing aluminum, (minus the dents, of course ;-) What | supplier might be able to do this? If I were to take an undamaged 1 | foot section to somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot (which I assume sells | siding for installation) would they be able to replicate it's profile in | vinyl about 8 feet long? If not would a commercial siding materials | place be able/willing to form 2 pieces of vinyl this way for a repair? | Luckily, it only has to be white. | | TIA | | Dan
Reply to
Pop

ummm, WHAT?

Dan

P> Nerver, EVER use those guys for any siding work! They are wrong

Reply to
Dan

Dan in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

won't cars keep hitting it?