Yet more nailgun follies, or, why not to tape down the trigger...

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) ? A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick

Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the > construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

It doesn't actually say that he'd taped the trigger, but blamed the accident on a "backfire".

Reply to
Paul Hays

Weird, how could you not feel that? If anything, he would certainly have had a bit of blood in his mouth. I wonder how much the truth was bent, and by who? :-) Ouch!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter

Ya know, I can't think of any framing gun capable of handling a 4" nail. All the ones I've ever used had 3 1/2" max capacity except a palm nailer..... hmmmm........naw, he couldn't have done that with a palm nailer, could he? ;) --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Pain is a very interesting thing that way. I've had plenty of things punctured where I didn't feel any pain (including my nose, my tongue, and several other, less "sensitive" body parts) It really depends on how you're wired, basically. Nerve receptors aren't exact science and you will often feel pain in the "wrong" place, especially in situations like this. I mean, how many nerve endings are there in the top of your mouth and your sinus cavities? As for blood, unless the nail is removed there's no reason to expect a lot of blood either.

Still, makes you think twice doesn't it?

bkr

Reply to
bkr

(snip) Weird, how could you not feel that?

No kiddin' the article said he "unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier" If he "unknowingly" did it, how'd he pinpoint that it was 6 days ago? And, more importantly, how the heck did he get it through the roof of his mouth and into his skull pointing straight up AND not realise it? BULL! I can touch the top of my mouth with my tongue and can feel it, so I can't imagine a framing spike blasting through the roof of my mouth and into my skull and "not realise it". Either he was goofing off and knew exactly what he did, or this was one helluva stupid botched suicide attempt. I use a framing gun almost daily, and have seen quite a few accidents. Unless the business end of the gun is very near a body part when it fires, the nail generally sticks out, at least enough to remove it. The real question is why did he have that gun in his mouth to begin with. That was no "accident" , there is his story, and there is the truth. He's a TRUE dumbass, and full of BS. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

How do you have that blast into yourself and not

feel the impact

or hear the impact and bone smashing?

Dave Jacks> (snip) Weird, how could you not feel that?

Reply to
Eddie Munster

I guess the thought that maybe the nail itself and it's position in the guy's head might have affected his memory hasn't occurred to anyone?

As for the dating, perhaps either the guy or his wife or fellow workers were able to recall when he worked with his nail gun the last time?

Or maybe the whole thing is BS. Who cares?

Reply to
John Emmons

You know how the news and Doctors exaggerate! I'm sure it was a 16d 31/2" nail

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

He was just letting the brad hold it until the glue dried.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Reply to
Doug Brown

I can hardly believe it took this long for someone to bring up this one...

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Just FYI: It was on CNN tonight. The story is true - he's recovering in Hospital. They even showed the x-rays. CNN thought it was kind of a strange event "suicide", and the hospital is quoted as saying "no". This is the second time in the past year, that someone has come into their hospital with a nail embeded in their head and not knowing it. Somehow they've ruled out "suicide" as the motive.

Personally, some people shouldn't be allowed to own these toys.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

The newscast I saw, Saturday or Sunday, didn't even imply it was a suicide attempt and apparently went into more detail as to how it happened than what has been relayed here. It sounds to me like CNN picked it up elsewhere and didn't bother to get the facts for themselves. That wouldn't a unique incident. The way it was shown on the cast I saw sounded logical with the nailgun backfiring. As I recall, they said it hit his jaw which is why he didn't realize there was a nail but thought the pain was because of being hit with the nailgun; after several days, he went in to get it checked which is when it was found what happened. Though I wouldn't say they didn't mention a dentist, I don't recall that but that he went to the doctor. Perhaps someone took liberties with the story to make it sound "better." I'll tell you for certain, I find this much more believable than women going into labor with a full-term pregnancy and claiming they didn't know they were pregnant!

This man would not be the first person who did not know he was carrying metal around in his body from such a freak accident until days, sometimes even years, after the fact.

Fact is stranger than fiction, no question about that. These things really do happen, tragically.

On the lighter side, maybe he's related to Tim Taylor.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Or the spin around your head thing. The "pan scan" I think. You're right, actually. Though I suppose an oral surgeon might have a full blown X-ray machine. Or maybe the X-ray depicted came from the surgeon who ultimately extracted the nail, and the dental X-ray only showed a piece of it.

No, probably not. I looked at the picture again. Those pan scan things don't show anything that high up, and neither would standard bite blocks.

Reply to
Silvan

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or what?

I know there are ways to put a nail in yourself but if the nailgun can just slip one by you, well .... ?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I assumed it meant that the gun appeared to fire normally, but he didn't see a nail emerge, so he just figured it was a faulty discharge. I can't envision a nail coming out backwards, at least not on my nailgun. Shoot forwards and ricochet, yes, but that's about it.

Reply to
Upscale

Hi Glenna,

I agree. I didn't hear anything about a dentist either. From what I saw on the x-ray that is one lucky boy. I guess this is one of those things, you just have to see to believe.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

I think it means that the body of the nailgun flew backwards and socked him in the mush. He knew he'd been hit by it, just didn't realise it had also fired a nail.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've not heard enough fact to have a clue as to what happened...the statement he made in the hospital that I saw wasn't even decipherable as he was obviously still coming out from under sedation. What I I heard the news commentator say was that he knew one nail had fired, but wasn't aware of the second one that got him. (And implies that one reason he didn't realize he'd been hit was that he saw one nail go flying so had no reason to think a second was in him. But that's my interpretation of what I think was said.) As near as I can tell, the second could (and based on the penetration in the x-ray almost had to) have been a richocet or at least fired while the gun was a fair distance from him or it would have pentrated much farther--those suckers are flying pretty fast when they leave the muzzle. So, my guess is, the first one caused the kick back which caused an inadvertent second to be fired which richoceted and got him. May have been a failure of the trip mechanism, but that has happened to me on the rare occasion...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think I understand the nailgun hitting him in the face. Thankfully I've not had that happen to me - yet - but I can see how it might happen. But, every time I try to envision a means of putting a 3" nail through the roof of a mouth - even with a ricochet - I come up with a contortionist's act. Hanging upside down with mouth open?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser