nailgun, stapler or screwdriver?

Hi,

I'm about to start on my loft. (Don't worry, this is not about building regulations!)

I need to attach reflective multisheet insulation (20mm thick wadding type) to the underside of 3"x2" rafters. Then 25mmx30mm timber horizontal at 2 foot spacing on top of this. Then foil backed 12.5mm plasterboard on to that.

The questions is - what do I use as fixings?

I had been advised Staples to fix the insulation to the rafters - do they have to be galvanised? What size?

Then "special screws" through plasterboards, pre drilled battens and insulation? 3 inch? Apparently the insulation will tear up internally and create a right mess if you a) drill through it or b) don't use these "special screws"

My idea:

Can I used a nailgun and nail (what nails to use?) the plasterboard, battens and insulation direct to te rafters? perhaps using adhesive to tempoarilly attach the insulation to yhr rafters and the battens to the plasterboards in the first place?

Does anyone have any experience with this? What nailgun should I buy? Will an electric one (£12.50 on ebay) do the job?

So many questions - and its the christmas project!

Philip

Reply to
philip cosson

It seems that the only need for the staples is to hold the insulation there for long enough to get the other stuff on. Once horizontal timbers are in place then the wadding will be well fixed by them.

Nail guns that take staples tend to use the narrow crown type "A" staples (unless you get a dedicated stapler which does another size). These are not ideal for fixing soft stuff because they tend to pull through. Having said that it sounds like you are not going to have much load on them until the wood strips are in place so you may get away with it.

The strips themselves would probably be best nailed or screwed on with galvanised nails/screws.

Since you will be screwing into the batten above the insulation this does not seem to be a problem. The best screws to use for plasterboard are the bugle head dry wall screws (usualy black passivated finish, Philips head, and damn sharp!)

I would screw it instead....

You could nail the battens, and hence use a nailer for that....

Just done a complete loft conversion so BTSIDIGTTS ;-)

Unlikely... It sounds like the sort of job you would need a medium gauge nail gun for, perhaps a 16 gauge. The 18 gauge brad nails will be too light, and a framing nailer may be too heavy (although it that is all you had then I expect it would be OK with the right choice of nails). Not forgetting a suitable compressor to drive it.

As in start this one, finish by next ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Does anyone know the conversion for these gauges? my local roofing merchant suggested 3.5 gauge - obviously a different system!

Your not wrong!

Whats written on your teeshirt John? "NEVER AGAIN"?

Philip

Reply to
philip cosson

He probably means 3.5mm.

This size is in the realm of a framing nailer or coil nailer. These are commonly used in the U.S. from framing timber buildings and the coil nailer is used for roofing because you can get a lot of nails in a small space and not need to keep reloading the gun. A 3.5mm nail would be a U.S. 0.137" one. I have a framing nailer, and with nails at the small end of its range it would do the batten fixing job that you describe as a permanent fix.

Of the smaller type of nailer, the 15 gauge is the largest popular one and is 1.58mm, 16 gauge is 1.4 mm and then 18 gauge is 1.05mm

You could fix the battens temporarily with a 15 or 16 gauge (2 per rafter position) nailer, and then as John says use the bugle head screws for the plasterboard.

Another option would be to rent a screwgun.

A third option would be to rent a Paslode. This is a nailer which uses a small gas cartridge and effectively nails by small explosion. These come in the size you'd need, but in a confined space, the smell that they produce from the explosion is a bit unpleasant.

A fourth option, if you don't have a need in future for nailer or screwgun, would be to simply invest in a separate cordless drill and screwdriver - i.e. two tools. Then you can rapidly switch from one to the other.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Perhaps he means 3.5mm, which sounds more like a framing nailer nail.

The jury is still out on that one... ask me when I finish!

Reply to
John Rumm