X5 series?

What is the diff with Delta's new line of X5 stuff? Just the warranty?

Reply to
MSgeek

It goes much deeper than that. They have new labels on them. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It most definately goes much deeper especially in your pockets for more cash. It's called marketing strategy to get more $.

Reply to
dteckie

It depends on the specific item.

Some items are virtually unchanged, but others are offered with additional accessories. Some items have been redesigned. Some prices have changed. Some higher. Some lower.

The new 28-245X 14" bandsaw has been changed significantly from the 28-299.

And yes, the warranty has been extended, and there are a number of free goods that you can choose with the purchase of that tool.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Or to differentiate the hobbyist grade tools from the homeowner and industrial line, if you are not a conspiracy theorist.

Of course the inevitable "new" must mean "improved" mindset of the well-conditioned consumer doesn't hurt either....

Reply to
George

Reply to
Ramsey

I wondered about that too when I saw the "DJ-20" X5 for several hunnert bucks more than the "DJ-20" in the last Tool Crib catalog. Aside from the sticker and part number, I couldn't see the difference.

Reply to
mttt

What? You don't think the letter X and the number 5 are worth $200? Do you think it was easy or cheap for them to retool the entire line to add two characters? :)

Reply to
Upscale

errr!!! No!!! won't buy into their new marketing strategy. Let's see first they start making the equipment in Taiwan. for much less manufacturing cost and bigger Bonuses for CEO and his close associates. Then they change the model name to futuristic X5, throw in minor a change or two and some accessories which may not be big sellers. Charge $200 more and the suckers will come to buy. But wait if you act now we will give you free of charge a year subscription to Delta Newsletter and a limited lifetime warantee. When the machine stops working it's life has expired and therefore so does the warantee.

Reply to
dteckie

You **are** in marketing, aren't you!?!?! :)

Reply to
mttt

Reply to
""Nobody"

At least not yet.

It's coming though.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

No I'm not in Marketing . I guess I watch too many Commercials and Infomercials especially Sat & Sun morning waiting for the woodworking shows to air. I've seen the X5 and don't see much difference in the equipment except for the Price and model number. How else can Delta justify $200 price increase? It's and old tried and true Marketing scheme.

Reply to
dteckie

You watch *infomercials* O_o

All I can say if I hope I never run out of alternative ways to use my valuable time.

Actually, I never even look at the idiot light except in the course of spending time with SWMBO. We get along just fine, but if we were ever to part ways, I'd let her take the tube and wouldn't bother to buy another one.

It's kind of funny how I am, actually. Sometimes we'll be watching something relatively interesting, but when she announces that she's ready for bed, and after I've gone in to tuck her in and play her some bedtime music, I always go in the living room and turn off the TV, no matter what the show is.

Then I come out here to the other idiot light, but at least this one is interactive. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I was thinking the same thing myself and I pretty much agree with the general consensus. To add a little though...

At a recent visit to Woodworkers Warehouse (which I *think* is at least partially owned by/ or owns part of, Delta) I asked the kid working there about the new X5 line. He gave me the standard sales pitch about how you earn points or credits or something, towards some other Delta merchandise (you can see how interested I was in this). So I commented that I hear that Delta has had some quality issues the last few years (based on what I have read here) and I wondered if it wasn't just some scheme to shed the bad image by repackaging basically the same tools at a higher price? His reply was that he didn't really notice any difference between the old line and the X5, and that I was probably right.

Jeez, ya woulda thought they'd at least change the color or sumpin.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris