woodworking with hand tools

In woodworking one often gets greater satisfaction from how you did something than you get out of the actual piece itself.

This is especially true when devising jigs and fixtures to do something that no tool can do, and/or do it safely.

Reply to
Swingman

Welcome to my life. ; )

Reply to
Bill

----------------------------------------- "Sw> Not any more ... but, the ability to be able to do it, if it is the

---------------------------------------- So you are here to tell me that still being able to shoot a sight with a sextant from the deck of a pitching boat or still being able to use my Post, log-log-desi-trig slide rule to run a string of calculations, still has value for something other than collecting a few drinks proving you still know how to use those tools?

Who would have thunk it?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:54:19 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

You never know, a series of electromagnetic surges from a solar storm could well knock out power for considerable time. Those sextants and slide rules might be worth their weight in gold ~ If anyone remembers how to use them. There might be a surge of baby boomers getting hired for outlandish wages. :)

Reply to
none

And the way Russia, the US, the middle east , N Korea and terrorists are going, who knows we may experience the first Atomic bomb since it's first test in the deserts of NM.. we may do it in a populous area and we might need to go old fashion for a while.

BTW had a recruiter call the other day. After initial intro and stuff he told me he had a job in Princetion, he asked if I were a citizen.. I said yes. He said he would call me back in a few minutes... He never did.. Being a citizen is not necessarily what they are looking for. There's a push on again to eliminate the H1B quotas by the big companies.

How did we get here?

Reply to
woodchucker

------------------------------------------------- Doesn't only apply to boomers.

There are numerous times when old timers have been brought out of retirement to document processes, or underground utilities locations that hadn't been documented except in the memories of old timers,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:58:03 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Well, boomers are just hitting the 65 retirement range and that's what I was thinking of. But yeah, there's plenty who are older with the skills to go entirely manual.

Only thing is, can they remember how? I just hit 60 and damned if I can remember how to use a slide rule. Or course, I never had to use one for a living, so that may make a big difference.

Reply to
none

It certainly happened during the runup to Y2K. COBOL programmers were worth some money.

Reply to
krw

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- When I graduated, you either used a slide rule or you didn't study engineering.

10 years later, man had landed on the moon.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I worked at Colonial Williamsburg in the '80s there were others there who resurrected tasks like brick making, gun making (lock, stock and barrel using the technology available in the 18th century), the bloomery process for turning bog iron into steel, etc. While there I came to understand that pretty much the whole world had been built without electricity. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hoover dam comes to mind. As they retire, they're hired for consultants and trainers. Colleges don't teach old tech.

Reply to
geoff

Hiroshima. Nagasaki. Not sure what it implies about people when they forget there were two atomic bombs dropped on Japan in August 1945 after the test atomic explosion in the deserts of New Mexico.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I meant in the states. There were actually a few above ground before they went below ground,

Reply to
woodchucker

I went out there for a while to resume my spring tidying-up. After we get the holiday decorations out of the way ("squatters!"), things will be dandy! I think JOAT knew what he was talking about!

Reply to
Bill