woodworking with hand tools

weat during the entire video. > > Geez. His pile of shavings is nicer than some of my work, .... Before I got a jointer, ....

Seems to me he's in his shop just relaxing, taking his time, doing precisio n work. He didn't learn his skills or develope that approach over night, e ither.

I'm rarely in a rush to finish any project and I often go in the shop just to hang out, maybe plan a project, plan to sharpen tools (usually on a rain y day), etc. I may do a simple project just to kill time, do some carving , have a beer, visit (if someone has come over) and the like. When doing small "relaxing" projects, I don't always use the power tools. Using hand tools is gratifying.... but I'm not anxious to rip with a hand saw, either.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The ridiculous thing about all of it is that now, some of the well paying, life supporting jobs are the plumber, electrician and similar type jobs. When I went to school, those were the lower tier jobs that the less motivated students were streamed into.

Reply to
none

Schools don't get rewarded with tax money for successfully streaming students into those jobs. Now the schools don't even help students to prepare for those jobs. Community colleges have some programs, such as HVAC.

Reply to
Bill

Nice.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thursday Throwback, a few hours early.

JOAT (Jack-Of-All-Trades), one of the denizens of the WREC a few years back, described this "shop thing" succinctly:

"My shop helps me relax, makes me feel better (more "up" I guess you would say), and helps ease the headache. It is enough sometimes just to know it is there, that it's mine. Sometimes I go out there for hours making something, sometimes I just piddle around, sometimes I do a little and then just sit for awhile, and sometimes all I do is just sit, listen to music, smell the sawdust, watch the birds and squirrels, and don't think about anything much at all."

Once again, thanks JOAT, that pretty well still describes it for me!

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I'm glad that you did not take that the wrong way. I believe that we have been acquainted long enough on here that we intend no malice is in either direction.

Reply to
Leon

Consider Bill the disagreement that you and I had a few days back about steel strings. ;~) I don't think that either of us was kill filed although that discussion might have been seen as a similar incident. We all get rubbed the wrong way now and then but I don't believe any of us, well except maybe Stinky, deserves to be censored.

Reply to
Leon

If you want an exact definition of a troll, take a look at who responded to you in a rather vulgar manner at 8:05 pm.

Reply to
Leon

Great!

Reply to
Leon

I had already forgotten about that one until I looked it up! It looks like he likes you too! ;)

Reply to
Bill

I attract all the crack pots.

Reply to
Leon

Yep..

Reply to
woodchucker

In the year 9595, I'm kinda wonderin' if Man is gonna be alive. He's taken everything this old Earth can give, and he ain't put back nothin'

Now it's been 10,000 years, Man has cried a billion tears, For what, he never knew. Now man's reign is through.

-- Zager & Evans, 1969

OBWW: Denny Zager now builds custom guitars in Lincon Nebraska.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Oddly enough, the many silicon valley high schools have industrial arts programs, including wood shops.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

For a one-off jewelry box drawer, probably. For a production run of

20 drawers, the jigs are invaluable. I do like my D4.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If you have 31 minutes to watch someone do some woodworking with hand tools you might like this:

I don't think he drips a bead of sweat during the entire video.

Very sharp tools and determination to get job perfect. Great craftsman. WW

Reply to
WW

Hereah! ... I thought it was French models? LOL

Reply to
Swingman

I'm something of a "thinker" by nature, and I am blessed/afflicted with many of the consequences of that condition.

The last couple of years have presented a lot of challenges, and a guy like me might tend to spend idle moments churning the permutations around in my head. Having a project in progress ("in progress" is a long-lasting condition for my projects) gives me something else for my brain to chew on, during my commute to work, for instance. I turn the pieces around in my head, reshape them, fit them together and mostly puzzle out how to turn those ideas into reality given my current limitations. Definitely an aid to good mental health.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Know the feeling all too well. My mind chews on a problem, and goes over and over possible solutions, like a dog on a bone ...even when I'm asleep.

Can't tell you how many times I've woken out of a sleep with solutions to a problem, or ways to do something, I'd been wrestling with the day before.

When I took an interest in computer programming in the late sixties there were no books at the bookstore, no online sources and you bascially had to puzzle things out yourself, sometimes by the brute force of trial and error.

The reward is coming up with an "elegant" solution, even though you might find out later that you rebuilt a wheel some Wizard came up with before ... than you can just say "Great minds ..." ;)

Reply to
Swingman