woodworking and humor sometimes works

funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

Electric Comet

I would want to get paid, in cash, hourly if I was working for that guy.

Reply to
Bill

may be get a written contract

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'd feel better with the cash.

Reply to
Bill

It would fun to reply just to see what he says.

"I am available. Will you cover transportation costs from the east coast? I am used to my own tools, so you'd need to cover shipping for them also. If you bought new bits for the router, I'd be willing to use those. Mine are dull. FYI - I don't work weekends, which includes Fridays. Mondays are iffy."

That oughta get a rise out him.

BTW...what's with all the images of doors/doorways? His ad was for window frames.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Personally, I'd prefer not to work for a contractor who doesn't know the difference between a window and a door! ; ) He keeps describing how easy the work is. To me that sounds like he wants to keep the money from the job for himself. Who do we know who is close to north Seattle?

Reply to
Bill

Why would you pay $40-50 an hour for completed work? Wouldn't you just pay for completed work (or pay by the hour?)

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

That's part of the scam. The hourly rate is a diversion. He claims to pay for completed work, but I bet he'll find something you didn't finish to avoid paying. At that time, you'll be no longer welcome on his property or so frustrated with him you'll write the entire thing off.

He might be the kind of guy you only negotiate with with him being on the wrong side of a Kill-O-Zap blaster.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I couldn't resist. I just replied to his ad asking why he had pictures of doors in an ad related to window frame work. If he responds, I'll let you know what he says.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

His ad says local to seattle only. Don't think he'll respond.

Reply to
woodchucker

I received an email response from the poster of the ad. I'm including it as written, except for the signature line. (I removed his personal information mainly because it was technically a "private" email to me)

The grammar, spacing and punctuation is his. I'm not so sure about the "Attention to Detail" noted in his signature line. ;-)

My question:

Hi! Why does your ad show pictures of doors and doorways if the work is related to window frames?

His response:

carpentry is carpentry. im a carpenter. mostly doors. a window here and there. this specific project is to make some window frames. which require carpentry.

(The following appeared to be his default email signature)

Please call any time if you have any questions.

Thanks.

His Name His Phone Number His Company Name (supposed to be a link, but there was a space in it, so it couldn?t be clicked) His Company?s Phone Number

*Artisan Craftsmanship *Personal Service *Attention to Detail
Reply to
DerbyDad03

If he was in my town, I might try working for him, for the experience. I met a "woodworker" (sort of) at a craft shop recently who was rather afraid of telling anything for fear people were going to steal his ideas. I didn't even ask him anything. But he mentioned alot of people come in trace things, ask what sort of glue he uses, etc.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

bizarre.

Reply to
woodchucker

Take a trip to some of the "touristy" parts of Tennessee (or don't), and see how "capitalistic" it is. Unbelievable!

Reply to
Bill