Woodworker L-list??

What the hell is this? Why all the sudden when I post in the wreck I get some email kicked back to me about some L-server list in Kentucky? It says I'm not authorized to post in the L-list Woodworking list or something like that. I know what the L-server groups are, I joined a few years ago but since when did they have anything to do with Usenet? Anyone else getting these?

-- ....

Reply to
James D Kountz

Ok I had it wrong, here is the actual message I got:

*snip*

You are not authorized to send mail to the WOODWORK-L list from your (my email address) account. You might be authorized to send to the list from another of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program which generates slightly different addresses, but LISTSERV has no way to associate this other account or address with yours. If you need assistance or if you have any question regarding the policy of the WOODWORK-L list, please contact the list owners: snipped-for-privacy@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU.

*end snip*

Any clues??

Weird.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

I know there's a listserv operated by a guy at Indiana University, through which people without NNTP access can still read from and post to the newsgroup. I'm guessing that you may have your newsreader configured to send an email copy to the author, when you followup a post. The ReplyTo: header in every post originating from this listserv is the listserv's mailing address.

-- Regards, Doug Miller

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've been having the same problem (I'll probably see this post back as e-mail in 20 minutes or so.)

Some dufus probably made some "improvements" to the server software and installed the new version without bothering to test.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Me too and I've gotten those before. Probably just someone spilled his diet soda on a keyboard somewhere and loosed the gremlins upon us. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

so James, do you think we Wreckers are the "list owners"? why not follow the suggestion in the message???

James D Kountz wrote: If you need assistance or if you

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Just create a rule from the email and forward it to the list owner... I did in OE just now and have sent several to them so far... We will see how they like it...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

It might be more fun to post to the wreck using the (borrowed) list server admin's e-mail address (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Now now Dave, did I say the wreck was the list owners? No I did not. I merely asked if anyone else has this problem and did they have anything to add. Do you sit there and wait for someone to say something you can jump on for no other reason than to be annoying? Come on man give me a break............PLEASE!!!!!!!! And yes I did what the email said as did a few others. If you read all of them then you know it didnt do much good, thus my original post. Sorry I bothered you Dave.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Yes. I wrote it off to one of the myriad Outhouse Express email viruses that are circulating around the planet that send things to all the addresses in your Outhouse Express address book.

There may be some other explanation, but I've been getting a ton of email viruses as a result of my posts here. I'm evidently in a lot of people's address books or something. Or maybe I'm just wrong about the whole thing.

(I don't worry about it since I'm not running Outhouse Express, nor an operating system that can execute .EXE files for that matter.)

Reply to
Silvan

If your using Outlook Express and are getting a lot of these email virus got the Tools menu and select options, then select Read, then select the option that says read all messages in plain text. If you do this you will not be susceptible to the VB script virus or any other one that gets you if you open the mail.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganator.family.lan:

That's probably the Swen virus, which gets it's addresses from newsgroup posts (read the virus name backwards), and is still floating around. You might want to consider munging your address, just to avoid that.

John

Reply to
John McCoy