Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain?

I've only got a portable compressor, something like 2.7 CFM @ 90 PSI. It's not yet time to upgrade to a "shop" compressor, although that time will eventually come. The bottom line is that my compressor doesn't near have the ponies to power a conventional or HVLP gun.

Rockler (among others) sells a product called a Critter siphon spray gun:

's specs fall within the meager minimum specs of my hotdog. I know it isn't the kind of quality a "real" spraygun has, but at $40, it might be able to delay my purchasing a $500 compressor and a $100 gun.

At present, the only thing I would like to be able to do is spray toner/glazing, primarily using dyes rather than pigments.

Does anyone have any experience using this gun to spray dye-based stains? Can it spray a fine enough mist to provide even coverage?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Good question, I'm curious as well. Also - Will it spray shellac if thinned? Actually, I'm sure it will - Has anyone every used it for shellac? How did it turn out?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Yes! I use mine to spray Solar-Lux and thinned Seal Coat on a regular basis. Keep a dry brush handy to possibly even out the dye. You won't always need it, but when you do, it takes too long to go get it! I added a quick disconnect between my portable compressor's pressure switch and regulator. This lets me add extra 11 gallon tank into the system, charged to the full 135 PSI, and disconnect them when I don't. A bigger compressor is better, but even better than that is a turbine powered HVLP for bigger jobs.

The Critter is excellent for thin liquids, like dyes, and smaller jobs with lacquer, shellac, and paint. It's also extremely easy to clean. If you think of it as a spray bomb that's been working out at the gym and takes custom blends, you won't be disappointed. If you picture it as a "real" spray gun, you'll be disappointed.

Critter downsides: a non-adjustable round spray pattern and _HEAVY_ overspray mist in air (it's not HVLP ).

All in all, it's a good little tool for $45-50.

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks for all the info...Critter here I come!

Reply to
wood_newbie