hvlp spray gun

I thought that a high volume low pressure spray gun required air at about 60 cubic feet per minute and around 4 psi. This, I was told, could not be obtained with a standard air compressor (no easy way to convert 4 cfm @ 60 psi to 60 cfm @ 4 psi). Now days I see lots of "hvlp" spray guns that say they operate from a standard air compressor at 40 psi. Is this all marketing hype and these 40 psi spray guns arn't true hvlp guns?

The reason for asking is that I just saw a unit from Chicago Freight that comes with an air source (60 cfm @ 4 psi) at a price that would justify "just trying it out". I know...Chicago Freight...but I've had remarkably good luck with their products and theis prices can't be beat.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

I saw a cheap self contained Wagner Hvlp at HD, it should be decent quality. HV is high volume LP low pressure, the big hvlp units basicly use a vacume cleaner motor, I dont think a small compressor set up could be an actual hvlp.

Reply to
ransley

I have Harbor Freight and Astro HVLP spray guns and they bith work quite well. Astro tools are professional items that have been around for many years. I believe they are made in Taiwan and the quality is impressive. Quite popular with automotive repair folks. The Harbor Freight spray guns are well made Chinese and get the job done, but some fussing with tips and solvent dilution helps. I suspect the difference is in the regulator performance. There's no reason a well designed regulator can't provide the correct air supply for a spray gun. However, for fairly large jobs the matched compressor-spray gun rigs should be considered. As always, renting a unit you are considering for purchase will be a dandy way to make the best judgement.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You're talking about a conversion gun. (DAGS HVLP conversion gun) They are HVLP and they work by converting air at high pressure to a larger amount of air at a lower pressure (which is what happens when you just allow compressed air to expand again). But they do it in a controlled fashion. If you already have a compressor setup, they are a relatively inexpensive way to get to a HVLP setup. But I think the general consensus is that the systems that use turbines to provide the air work better.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin