Looking for HVLP spray gun

Can anyone recommend a small HVLP spray gun that will work with typical pancake compressors?

It'll be used mostly to spray laquer and water-borne poly for small cabinets, boxes, drawers, etc.

Reply to
mp

accuspray 19c

minimum HP recommendation is 1-1/2

Reply to
Bridger

The accuspray gun is a bit pricey for a conversion gun, which is a compromise anyway. An alternate choice is the Porter Cable PSH1 that sells for under $100. Be aware that any conversion gun is going to be limited to keeping the gun in a horizontal position when spraying. This is probably not a big factor for what you want to do.

Some pancake compressors do not have the capacity to run an HVLP conversion gun. Requirements for a small gun are typically 8 scfm at 40 PSI. Look at your compressor flow capacity ratings. Forget horsepower ratings when evaluating. They are all bogus. Unlike a nailer, where you can wait for the compressor to catch up, you usually cannot tolerate this when spraying.

Getting into spraying is usually a bigger cost step than most people realize, if they don't have an adequate compressor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Hey Bob,

You seem to know your way around painting equipment. Maybe you can educate me on some of the basic terminology and equipment.

Is HVLP the type of gun that's traditionally used for auto painting? Or, is that a completely different animal? What are the major types? LVLP, HVHP etc?

The reason I'm asking is that I need a way to spray paint MDF garage cabinets, and I don't have a booth. I recall the automotive paint sprayers create a great deal of overspray, which will cause me problems. I need to paint on the driveway on a calm day, and I can lay down drop cloths and such, but IIRC, the automotive type gun would end up covoering a very large area with overspray. My wife will not appreciate the fence, garage door, alley, and neighbor's dog sporting "tool cabinet red".

Are there other types of pneumatic guns that don't atomize the material as much, or can these be adjusted to apply larger droplets with less "misting"?

AND...can these guns be used to apply wood primers and enamels?

Would an electric sprayer be better for this approach?

I have a large compressor, so capacity is not a problem.

TIA, Tom M.

Reply to
Tom

Have a small compressor myself and never did a gun find one that was worth the price, or the limitations that came with it. Went with an el cheapo Campbell Hausfeld HVLP unit , which exceeded my expectations for woodworking projects, and will get you in the game for around $150.

Reply to
Swingman

A few weeks ago I bought a unit here in Canada at Princess Auto that was on sale for $44.00cdn. (reg. 99.00). My small compressor seems to work just fine with it on things such as cabinets & book cases,but I haven't tried painting anything that is real large with it yet. I can't remember the make or model. I'm supposed to be working right now so I can't go to the shop & check either.

Here's the link to their website. If you're on high speed you can download their entire catalogue in about 5 minutes. The sprayer I purchased is on page 124, item "C".

shopping!

Reply to
BiffNightly

not mine. (accuspray 19c)

Reply to
Bridger

HVLP generates minimal overspray. Transfer efficiency is very high. Conversion guns use a lot of air, I used my Accuspray Series 10 with the conversion attachment and kept a 5 Hp (real HP) compressor running constantly.

Reply to
ATP

snip

I also have a Accuspray #10 gun. Where do you find nozzles, needles, aircaps at a decent price please? Homestead is getting $38 for the Delrin aircaps - whew!

Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Why not check into the Critter spray gun?

Reply to
Ace

Looks nice, but the price is a bit out of my range.

Reply to
mp

Thanks for the heads up on Princess Auto. There's a store not too far from here and I'm heading over to check them out.

Reply to
mp

I got a few with the gun when I bought it as part of a package- I've only bought some gaskets, etc. through my local auto body shop. Compliant Spray Systems is a helpful online vendor, although I don't think you'll find any bargains there. Ebay has Accuspray parts every now and then.

Reply to
ATP

You flatter me, Tom, but I'm not an expert at all. I absorb knowledge like a sponge and have some experience. I did attend an excellent seminar on spray painting about 3 months ago. That's where I learned what goes into a real HVLP rig (lots of $$$$) and also where I was exposed to the little Porter cable gun. Several attendees acknowledged it worked pretty well.

The single most compelling attribute of HVLP is the high efficiency and virtual lack of overspray. Most of the paint goes onto the object instead of into the air. I think I recall something like 70-80% efficiency as opposed to 40-50% for an old conventional spray gun. I think HVLP has replaced a lot of the equipment that was used for auto painting 20 years ago.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Hey Bob (or anyone), let's carry this 1 step further. I've also been looking at that PC conversion gun. What would be the pros and cons of this over something like the inexpensive ($100-$125) self contained Wagner HVLP units ?

jim bailey

Reply to
James Bailey

Some of the inexpensive turbines don't have the balls to spray anything more than an extremely light-bodied finish.

Reply to
ATP

Thanks Swingman,

Been wondering about the CH HVLP system. I have a pancake compressor and would like to start trying some spray on finishes... my 2 options seem to be to upgrade to a larger compressor or get a small HVLP like the CH. Any regrets about getting the CH?

thanks, YJJim

Reply to
YJJim

Absolutely none thus far ... about a year. I have had nothing but excellent results with it. I spray mostly shellac and would prefer to have a plastic cup because of that ... other than that, I am perfectly happy with the unit.

CH most likely has a plastic cup that can be had, but I've been too busy/lazy to look for it in between uses.

Reply to
Swingman

ATP - I'm missing something - are we talking about the same type (CS rather than Wagner though) of unit that swingman is refering to in his follow ups to this ? That's a pretty broad difference in opinion between yours and his. I'm not cheap but no point in throwing $150 at something if it won't work for me. I'm hoping to spray cabinets, furniture, lacquer, poly. Swingman seem to be having pretty good luck with his.

jim bailey

Reply to
James Bailey

Thanks... it seemed like a good deal, and it is nice to hear from someone who is happy with it.

YJJim

Reply to
YJJim