Wichita, KS Woodworking Supply

For the Wichita folks who haven't been down to the Big Tool Store during the past 1 to 1-1/2 years I would suggest a visit. Those folks have really expanded their display floor space and their selection of quality woodworking tools. The cover all the bases from power to hand tools. Prices are in the competitive to slightly high range but they blow the big boxes and Sunflower/White Star out the window with selection, convenience and knowledge.

Give them a look.

RonB

PS: No affiliation, just impressed with their effort.

Reply to
RonB

I have been there recently and ain't impressed. I know the owners and am even less impressed with them. They don't really carry anything that can't be found elsewhere for less and have always gotten confused when I ask about a specific tool.

I'm still looking for a good woodworking supply house in the area, have any other suggestions?

Reply to
r payne

That's it. Since Brush and Board closed years ago Wichita has been a woodworker's wasteland. Sunflower was trying for a while but didn't seem to have any direction. I also got tired of having to take half of their merchandise to the counter to find out what it costs.

There is not another store I know of where you can go to touch and buy Powermatic, Delta, Dewalt, Shop Fox and other floor tools not to mention a host of power and non-power hand tools. Kind of leaves you with KC (not much there except Woodcraft and Turnaboutwood (if they are still there - site down)) or Springfield. The Guys at the Big Tool Store seem to be making an effort to serve the woodworkers.

There was a decent little hardwood store on N Waco but he sold out and the guys who took over turned it into a cabinet shop. Most of my hardwood comes from Oxford but I'm checking sources near Oswego and SW MO.

Ron

Ron

Reply to
RonB

Yeah and that pesky Fall sale is coming up in about 5-6 weeks.

Reply to
RonB

"RonB" wrote in news:bk1Dg.18774$LF4.54@dukeread05:

I agree with the other threads. Big Tool Store is ok if, you're looking for power tools. Their prices are right at retail. I haven't found anywhere that has good quality woodworking hand tools around Wichita - non existant.

Wood is also a problem - I go down to Oxford. White Millworks in Udall also has small quanities of Oak and some plywood. They'll order most anything. I ordered some 5/4 quarter sawn oak from them years ago and was pleased. Since they're a mill they'll sell you the lumber in any form and will straight line & surface it to your exact requirements - If you want it

7/8" thick they'll do it. Call before you go.

Brush & Board was also my choice for years. They tried for several years to find a buyer and no one wanted to take it on. It would've been tough competing with big boxes and the street project that took a long time.

Reply to
lucky4fingers