Old subject but still ongoing with concrete and asphalt driveway HELP needed for proceeding attempt to recoup something (0/1)

About a year ago some knowledgable folks replied and gave us info regarding a 5 month old concrete pad and an asphalt turn-around installed in Sept and was showing signs of considerable FLAKING, spalling, crooked joints, oil stains from asphalt rollers on 2 day old concrete they drove on.

Oh and lots more.

Ring a bell?

I had been assured by the principals (owner & his Son) who made a personal visit last Spring to assure me with a HANDSHAKE and THEIR WORD their word they would fix the issues.

Now after patiently waiting for them to make the effort I get a statement an e-mail "Once again, we have told you before we did not do your concrete work we only sell ready-mix!" and "We pave driveways that is what we warranty." and lastly If you are having problems with your concrete you need to contact T*** H******* he was your concrete contractor."

I hired one Contractor. A contractor representing themselves as a Ready Mix and Asphalt contractor as in their name.

I paid ONLY them and no one else. If they had a finisher not a direct employee I had no knowledge of that and never did. Now they are trying to shift the responsibility to this person knowing full well he does not have the resources to accomplish any repair or any kind due to the scope of the problem.

This is the company that drove all over my 2 day old concrete pad repeatedly with their asphalt rollers and then told me they do it ALL THE TIME with no negative effects.

Most that replied to this were totally amazed that an experienced cement contractor would even consider this good practice even in a remote instance much less a good idea as a generally accepted practice.

Ring a bell?

I would just like to have some knowledgeable folks in the business post their learned opinions for me to possibly refer to. Someone had an affiliation with the Portland Cement Organization or something like that.

To put into perspective of the type of folks I am dealing with, there were DOZENS of hydraulic oil spots with some as big as pie plates from the rollers backing onto the concrete pad, the rolling out onto the asphalt. A particularly large one where they parked one roller for at least 2 hours after supervision had left. (3 of my neighbors saw this and volunteered it as they couldn't believe they were even on it much less the time there) as it was the only shady area.

When I saw the spots I simply asked that they clean them up quickly. Immediately there was a denial of responsibility and if I attempted to hold back the last payment I might expect PHYSICAL HARM if B***** was to be the one to attempt collection from that point.

I am an Electrician with 30 years experience and have been around construction all my life. I noted that the surface of the concrete just didn't appear right and looked like it had "tiger stripes" for lack of a better description. From that point on, every thing I said was deemed that I was being TOO FUSSY and as far as oil spots go, "it's a driveway, it's going to get spots on it". Well, sorry, it is new and I'll put the oil spots on it and don't think paying someone else to do it is a road I would consider.

The oil spots are only cosmetic at this point although I personally spent a lot of time with no positive results, the FLAKING and PITTING of the concrete pad is our main concern.

I have swept up enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket more than halfway full.

It looks awful.

I am lead to believe it is from an improper mix, or finishing while too wet. (spalling)

The asphalt also cracked all the way across the width within 5 months.(bad stop/start-improper temperature)

It has a 1' sag across the entire length.

They left a mound of dirt and debris easily moved with their skid steer.

I apologize for the long-winded description. I will attempt to provide pictures as attachments. 2 Virus free ZIP FILES.

Thanks for an ear. If those that have a valid point and explanation would be greatly appreciated. I really thought they would fix it after shaking my hand and giving me their word they would but I see know I was only being appeased and outright lied to.

Regards,

RP

MN Electrical Contractor

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

Who did you write the check to for the work? contact those who you wrote the check to.

Reply to
jloomis

Roscoe, I remember your posts. This group has lost many of its long time contributors.

I'm sorry that you are having such a horrible concrete experience. Flaking or spalling is usually caused by one or more of several things: Working the concrete before the bleed water has dissipated Using a power trowel on air entrained concrete. Failure to cure concrete. Bad mix design from the supplier. HIgh wind (though this usually only gives an alligator appearance of hairline cracks) Freezing in the first few days. Salt or other chemical in the top layer.

It is normal to not even allow car weight or any other usage of green concrete. Subject to admixtures which may have been used, this is usually for the first 7 days, at least 3. This is to allow the concrete to make sufficient strength to withstand the loading. Curing of the concrete with water or chemical curing compound should be applied for this same reason. The normal problem caused by early entry would be cracking, not normally a top finish problem.

There is excellent information at this site:

I'm afraid you have let things go too long. Small claims or visit with your attorney about possibilities. Too bad that the days of hand shake business are long gone. A tape recording of your last conversation with them would have been useful.

Reply to
DanG

Well, now you know who you're dealing with. If you wait much longer you might not be able to make a claim. It's time to stop being patient and start talking to a lawyer, contractor licensing, etc.

RicodJour

I'm not sure why you posted this (again) here. IIRC, the suggestion was to get a lawyer and let him settle the matter for you properly. That's what lawyers are for, and you seen to be just getting pain from your tries.

Reply to
PeterD