Anyone Have a (Grainger) Westward 1KEN7 Drill Press (1 HP, 1 Ph., 20", MT3, etc.)

Anyone got one?

I'm looking for some measurements off the machine. One measurement is needed to .001" but the rest could be provided to 1/16" or so and would work just fine for me...

These are Grainger sold drill presses... If someone is visiting a Grainger and can take measurements, I'll take care of you...

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Are you unwelcome at Grainger?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Could be. But I doubt it. :)

Let me provide context:

Grainger around here does not have a display model of this drill press out to look at. Maybe they all don't have "display" items like this... I'm not sure.

I have a few options:

  1. Call Grainger and ask them for the information I need. Done, doing, will do. Never have good luck because their technical support folks go by the manual. The manual rounds the numbers I need off or gives numbers that are way off for some unknown reasons. I need someone who can look at the parts drawings at the manufacturing level OR someone who can measure a machine or spare part. Usually, I have better luck asking the geese flying overhead to stop honking regardless of how good Grainger is.

  1. Buy a machine and measure it myself. Then I'd have FOUR drill press machines in my shop and this one would be one of the least capable. I suppose I could return it... But that's unethical and costly so I won't go this route.

  2. Have my customer measure their machine. ...If they could do this, I wouldn't be asking for help. They can't and if they did, I wouldn't trust their measurements based on my knowledge of their available measuring tools, etc.

  1. Have someone who can measure the unit stop by my customer and measure it for me. If I can talk the customer into paying a machine shop to go measure the thing for a small fee, I've got people willing to do this in many locations. Might resort to this eventually, but for now, the customer is balking at that idea.

  2. Someone comes along who owns one and I compensate them for measuring their machine on my behalf. I get the measurements forever in my file. My customer does not have a visitor. I sell my part and future buyers are impressed when I send them a PDF of their drill press' measurements for confirmation purposes only.

...Right now, I'm working on #1 and #5 as my active options. #4 will be pushed harder soon. #2 and #3 will probably be ignored.

Thanks for listening to my semi-rant, semi-explanation, semi-answer.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Llew

Reply to