Who Is WOOD SMITH ?

Respected Woodworkers of the Usenet contributers,

I got a letter from Wood Smith and a chart showing sizes of screws and on the back, a guide to wood types for woodworking projects. The chart is paper with a shiny face. The letter said he could teach me how to be a better woodworker! WOWEE! Mr. Smith, How much would you charge me for that?

GASP! a $74.00 value for $28.00?!

Wait a minute,,Executive and professional rate,,? If I rank a professional or an executive rate, why do you think I need to learn how to do, what I do, for a living? The Handyman Club sends me a fairly nice drill size gauge made of medium thickness plastic once in a while. I keep those and throw the rest away. Mr. Smith, send me something better next time.

PASS,,

NEXT !,, looks like an insurance bill. Hmmm.

Tom in KY, The differences in SPAM and junk mail ;

it's cheaper for them to SPAM me

It costs them more to send junk mail

I can hit DELETE or,

I have to take the #@$% garbage out.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Don't forget Tom, you also get a free preview issue and the "Ultimate Jigs & Fixtures Handbook", a $14.95 value free. OH, and did you flip that screw chart over? The reverse side is a guide to Common Woodworking Woods! All in all, I do pickup their magazine on occasion and I like it. It's by the same folks who do Shopnotes. No ads at all in their magazines, and some decent projects. I may have to send the card back in. After all, there is a Risk-Free 100% Money- Back Guarantee!! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Hey Dave,

Now you've got me thinking that I should dig that offer out of the garbage and reconsider!

I'm not condemning Woodsmith, I just wanted to share my "gloat" with you guys.

Tom in KY, a 100% guarantee, hmmm, NOPE, it's in the garbage now. I did keep the screw guide though with the wood for projects guide on the other side :-)

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

It's actually a pretty good magazine. You might be advanced enough not to learn anything from it, but it's definitely not in the same league as HandyMan Club of America as you implied in your note.

$12/year for a woodworking magazine is pretty good rate. Especially, since I don't think it has ads.

Reply to
bf

I got a similar card in the mail from Mercedes Benz.

Actually you would probably learn something from WoodSmith.

Reply to
Leon

You know wood smith is toms boy down by the corner!

Reply to
leonard

Yeah, but the Benz screw size card is all in metric.

Reply to
Roy

I am a LONG time subscriber to Woodsmith... LIKE from DAY ONE... started with issue number 1...all of 3 or 4 pages TOTAL...

And I still have 99 percent of the issues...And Boy should I ever get my act together and find them all organize them etc...

I've been retired now for 8 years and when bored or between projects I just grab a pile of the old issues and skim thru them to see what is interesting enough to raid the lumber rack and make...

Looking back...Woodsmith has been, and continues to be a GREAT rag.. never regretted subscribing and never even though of not continuing my subscription ..

Bob G. .

Reply to
Bob G.

================== Oh I forgot to add.... They never seem to do things the simple way... every Joint they use is 3-4 times as hard as the easy joint...

But Oh Have I learned alot over the years...and I have built plenty of their projects...and NOT a single one was done completely the way they suggested...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I've got to agree. I've been a subscriber since issue 40 something. No ads, great projects, excellent how to's. My only complaint is they used to sell ALL the back issues, now they are owned by a new publishing company and only a very few limited number of back issues are available. I could kick myself for not ordering them a long time ago. I have learned so much from Woodsmith over the years. It has been well worth the money invested in subscribing. I've kept every issue and refer to them all the time.

Reply to
Rich

I'm glad you guys are talking about it. I think I will take a look at several issues. I'm due for a foray into something new.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt