white glue vs wood glue

Greetings, I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30 minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood. Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue?

-- clh

Reply to
marcus

Well, my wife tells me a) I'm a bone head, and b) I used wood glue stick in a hot glue gun, which explains why I was able to work with it in 1/2 hour. Cheers!

marcus wrote:

Reply to
marcus

Aren't they the same thing?

SP

###

wiredkiwi

If you are talking about glues like titebond and elmer's then it is my understanding they are both Polyvinyl acetates except that titebond has a resin for moisture. Try a clamping time of > 1 hour?

Reply to
JLR

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.

Reply to
Phisherman

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

Reply to
marcus

try using masking tape for the clamps. then you can have an infinite number of clamps....

Reply to
bridger

John Carlson

I personally don't like Elmer's...I know, it should be the same as any other but it just doesn't seem to work as well as the yellow aliphatic glues. 30-40 minutes should be plenty if you handle them carefully, assuming the glue is not old (is it stringy? -- if so, throw it out and get fresh) or not too cold where you're working (if it's

Reply to
Duane Bozarth